Fly Tying
Alex C.

How to make a Monster

Started my next realistic, it's gonna be another spent mayfly, but really big. The body length is 50mm, with the tails it's 100mm. Wing span is gonna be 100mm

The head alone will be 5mm long!! I figure it will be a good opportunity to practice legs and antanae

Here is the extended abdomen formed and tied onto the hook shank. The body is easily , yet time consumingly formed like this. The hook I'm using is a Mustad 37160, size 6. You can kind of see where the segments are going to be. I've noticed looking at pictures that real mayflys segmentation is hardly ever nice and even along the length of the abdomen. On most Mayflys I've studied pics of, the rear segment(#9) is usally really short, then #8 is a little longer, then #7 thru #5 are a little longer than they are shorter as you near the thorax. user posted image

Now I've built up the thorax and made the foundation for the head. You'll want to cut small strips to length and tie them in on top of the thorax so that when you buiild it up you will have all of the bulk on the top of the thoax instead of the bulk being the same as the bottom. After taking this pic I added one more strip of 50# and although it isn't as tall as it should be proportionaly, I will stop building the thorax up for now since I'm gonna get some more bulk when tying in the legs and wingsuser posted image

Okay now I tied in the tails, applied a little flexament to the wraps at the tails and cut the thread.

user posted image

I cut the thread because I am gonna switch to a smaller diameter thread to tie in the body parts, etc.

Next I do my best to realisticly color it. Then coat the entire body with flexament

user posted image

I have the antennae, and eyes tied in now, but will post the next pic after I tie the legs in

You sure it needs a layer of flexament?

dunno.gif I figured it couldn't hurt, strengthens everything and makes the colors "pop" a little more. I could probably use sally hansen's instead dunno.gif

user posted image

The main wings are now tied in. The legs are in but need to be tweaked a little, the antennae are tied in and I'm not sure if they were worth all the trouble though. Almost finished yahoo.gif