Fly Tying
steelie

Sucker Pad Progress, Octopus II

Good Day,

Phew, what did I get myself into? I am in the proccess of creating 168 sucker pads for my next octopus! The process is easy enough but is very time consuming. The photo really tells most of the story. I cut 6" stips of 30 lb test line and metled a ball and bent one end. THe ball is an anchor for the line to set into the clear silicone that I have carefully applied to the marbles in the pic. Drop the ball onto the center of the pad and wait a day for it to cure and dry. Remove with blunt knife as a sharp one will tear at and cut the silicone. Only 140+ to go! I should be done by 2007... :rolleyes:

But really, I am excited with the results thus far, looking pretty good! I will post when I have a leg done!

Steelie

Hi Steelie,

I've been wondering how you would make the suckers, and your idea is brilliant, and I think they will come out looking great. :yahoo: Are you using a silicone that is paintable?

Thanks for sharing, your ingenuity is inspiring.

Graham

If anything you should have a pat on the back! That is one cool idea and by the sounds of things totaly time consuming. You are one dedicated fly tyer! I am like the rest cant wait to see, Octopus II.

Good Day,

Sounds like a cheesey hollywood followup film, OCTOPUS II!!!! The suckers are going to get cha!

:hyst:

Graham, in this case I am using clear marine silicone, which is not paintable. But that is cool, as most of my research has seemed to prove that the suckers tend to stay a milky translucent white to an opague creamy white anyway.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I am starting to think silly now, sooooo many suckers!

Steelie

Unlike most holywood followups something tells me this sequal is gonna be better than the first

So many suckers!!! Man that's hilarious!!! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

/U

Hi steelie, Great job on your octopus number-1 :headbang: Cant wait to see octopus number-2 I like the idea of how you are making your suckers. Just a thought that might help speed thing up a little. Did you try hot glue on the marbles? Should trun out the same way but might increase production. Its only a thought.

One other question I see you octopus was uploaded to the data base but there is nothing showing when I click on it. Would love to see the tying instructions some day.

Steve

Good Day,

Steve, I did experiment with several materials including hot glue and found the silicone to be the most "realistic" in its appearance. Also, having worked with hot glue in the past, (and I still do) there is always the danger of it "warming" and changinfg shape. I would hate to have someone purchase or be presented with an octopus with the hot glue pads only to put it on display near a window or halogen lamp and up with a mess. I once forgot that I had hot glue crayfish in a fly box and left it in the trunk... oooops.

There is a full tutorial on my first octopus. I am not sure why it is not coming up. It did not for me either. Maybe one of the moderators can shed light on this.

Steelie

Good Point I didnt think of that. My hat is off to you! AWESOME Work. Cant wait to see the new octopus. I know its going to be great!

Did you do a step by step with pictures of the whole fly build? If so will they be avaiable in the near future?

:rockon:

Steve

Good Day,

I did a full tutorial with all pics , on and on.... thanks for the words of encouragement. Again, I am not sure why the tutorial is not coming up. i will send a note to one of the administrators.

Steelie

Hey Steelie,

I was looking at the realistic archives and almost forgot all about this one. Have you ever finished it yet? How far along are you? I'm really interested in seeing the end result especially after all that work on just the suckers.

-Sam

I'm with HarleyHunter...Did you finish yet Steelie? I'd be interested in how you attach the pads. Also, can you post a few close ups of the marbles? Thanks. Thom