Fly Tying
uffepuffe

Match the Hatch Challenge #10

Hey guys,

Graham glad to hear everything was OK after the fire. Also those spiders by Graham and Leif are absolutely awsome. By the way Happy Birthday Leif!

Best wishes,

Sam

Graham...Nice to hear you are OK...This is fire season in California with the Santa Ana winds...Your spider looks real nice I particularly like the body...Foam huh!? Beats trying to build a body using just thread.

Leif...34 :bugeyes: You're still a young pup! Here in the U.S. when AARP starts sending you membership information you know you're getting old :huh:

Enjoy your 34th year! SullyTM

Alright, I got so damd tired of tying flies that takes a week to finish so I put those aside and did a quick tye 100% fishable spider just to get me started on this. It's no beauty and the colouring is crap but it felt good to tye a fly in under 15 minutes the thinking included. When the weekend comes I've finished the flies I'm sending away so then I can do only spiders for a while.

Now it's time to go to bed...

/Ulf

post-2830-1128550933_thumb.jpg

Been working on a spider for a few hours, pretty much done but I might add a little more color. I'll try and get a pic up tonight, if not tonight then tomorrow. Happy to say its probably the best realistic i've made. :headbang:

Wow, this month’s challenge is off to a great start, sure are some super looking flies on display.

Globalfisher your spider looks real nice, and it's great to see your enthusiasm for tying realistics.

I started my second spider and still struggle trying getting the legs to look right. This one had a jungle cock feather on top and little pincers on the head. I'm trying to make it scary looking.

Leif, your spiders look great under glass!

Aarne, Thom, Harleyhunter, globalfisher, getholdofjoru, (hope I didn't forget anyone), thank you for the compliments.

Cheers,

Graham

Here's my second spider, just finished it. I'm still not real happy with the legs and should have waited to take photos with sunlight, but just couldn't wait.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice job Graham!

What exactly are your legs made of? Both japanese nymph legs and quills? Either or? Or something else?

How do you make the kinks in the legs like that? They look like little bubbles on them.

Oh man... that's one of the coolest looking spiders I've seen Graham! It makes me wanna try a super realistic spider... hopefully I'll finish my last Siphlonurus tonight and then I can go for it!

/Ulf

Thanks Guys,

I enjoyed tying the spider and really had fun coloring it. The legs are single pieces of Jap Nymph Legs, flattened the ends with pliers, then cut the flattened part with fine scissors to make little claws, then coated them about three times with varnish to thicken, taper and color them, then put a small drop of colored varnish on the joints. It's the fastest way I've found to make nice looking legs. Using strips of foam for the body also speeds up the tying process, the fly took about 2 1/2 hours to tye and color. The varnish dries very quickly, then I touch it up with Pantone markers, then a final coat of tinted acrylic varnish. BTW.. to attach the legs to the body I bent the tip of each leg 90 degrees and tied the little end piece onto the sides of the hook. I used a heated fine tipped bodkin to curve the claws on the legs and pichers as well as for bending the leg joints.

Graham

Those spiders are great Leif!!! Great stuff!!! But they also look scary!!!! Me not like spiders :shocking:

:D

/Ulf