Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Winter rod building project

Well it is winter, and I was going through the new Jann's catalog and saw a mother of pearl reel seat that they added this year and immediately knew I had to build a rod with one. I showed to to the lovely Mrs. Lunk and told her I just wanted one, but was unsure because, well...I just don't actually NEED another rod just now, but it was just too sweet. I put together a price for components to build a 4pc travel rod, and it was a little higher than I was ready for. She then tells me that this is an area where I am most Mennonite (read: cheap - we really are Mennonites), and that I should build it for the artistic value if for nothing else. Naturally, I ordered everything today.

Has anyone else felt the irresistable call to build a rod just because you liked a component you saw (other than a blank)? I think I might be developing a problem.

laugh.gif Same here Lunk check my post from about 2 weeks ago,i had been "thinking" about building a rod for a good year now and posted a couple questions on the process......then OSD posted a link to a site that makes these unbelievable looking reel seats just like you mentioned and i knew as soon as i saw the seats that i HAD to build one.

Do i need another rod...NO...i have a good number of nice top name rods,but to be able to build your own rod with the "special" components that you like is something i have always wanted to do.

So after i get back from my next trip i will be ordering the stuff to build one of my own.

Let us know how your rod comes out.

SD