Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

My Steelhead Collection

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Dec 29 2003, 12:30 PM)

and i would have got away with it too....if it wasnt for you meedling kids and that dog! laugh.gif

Want me to explain that one to ya junior or are you old enough to remember it? laugh.gif

is that from scooby-do???

I was about to say.... thats enough flies for the first day... wheres the rest of em??? Guess i'm just too used to fishing MI waters.

steve

"is that from scooby-do???"

wallbash.gif

I was wondering were I heard that before...

-------------------------------

Those should be enough flies. Unless they set the hook like Roland Martin

rout roe shaggy wink.gif yupp scobby doo i get stuck watching that every time my niece comes over lol

steveo i know man the MI motto is carry 500 flies and use both patterens isnt it

Yea the PA tribs are a completely different world the the MI rivers. When I fished the PM in September we lost 75 flies our first day but I have never lost a fly due to a snag in PA. The tribs are mostly a shale bottom with not much in the way of big rocks and if you do get one hung on a rock it's usually easy to wiggle it free. I'm sure there are "snaggy" areas, but I haven't seen any yet. So I'm sure we are gonna all be coming home with a few extras which means less tying for the next time.

BTW Steve you ain't gettin near my fly box, I'll guard that with my life devil.gif

as much as I am looking forward to this adventure, part of me can't help be feel that I will learn to regret hanging out with the likes of you fellas!!! Going to be a great time!!!

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Dec 29 2003, 03:00 PM)
as much as I am looking forward to this adventure, part of me can't help be feel that I will learn to regret hanging out with the likes of you fellas!!! Going to be a great time!!!

Chris i thought you would have figured that out the first time we talked on the phone tongue.gif

and will......it wont be hard to get your fly box from ya it should float to the surface after i throw your skinny ass in the drink smoke.gif

SD

Those look great. It's cool to see how different the fly boxes look from east to west. We're using big bushy flies. Normally tied up on 1/0 minimum hooks. Alot of popsicle type flies and marabou speys. But looking good. headbang.gif

SH69 the difference in unreal. I think the biggest fly in my box is a #8 and after tying 14's even those looked gigantic. Of course the Steelhead in Pennsylvania average 7 and 8 lbs with a few going up to 14lbs. I know you guys out there have some freakin monsters.

Yupp theres a big difference in west.vs.east coast flies most of our patterns over here are smaller natural flies like smallie mentioned but there are times when a large brightly colored spey or PNW pattern fished on a down&across swing at the tail of a gravel strech will work great for our steelies.

SD

going to add a few Spring Wigglers to my stash....haven't heard anyone mention them yet...think I'll take OSD's advice and tie some just in case!

i started tying flies for steel head this year but stopped because i don't have larg enough tackle for them but now that i know i can build a rod in short order i'll be next season or possibly this spring