Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rathbone 53

Zonker pattern

Fly Pattern Database. Just down from the top of the page you will see a bar that says Species index then Fly Pattern Database. Try there, you can click on search and enter the name of the fly in the space provided

Or you can do a generic Google search by typing zonker, fly pattern and see about 10,200 results.

Mike

No matter which Zonker pattern that you decide on, unless it is "properly" weighted, you will probably find that your Zonker does not "track" properly, i.e. it rides on it side.

The problem is that you’re using a rabbit or other fur top-wing above a hollow Mylar tube, which then also tends to hold air. Even if you coat the Mylar with epoxy, the air trapped in the Mylar will tend to cause the streamer to come through the water on its side. Yeah, that bubble of air will always win out!

Whenever possible, I prefer to add a worm rattle to many patterns, and this problem can be exacerbated if ya' use a worm rattle. I prefer Woodies Rattlers, http://www.woodiesrattlers.com , as they can be trimmed and don't break like glass worm rattles.

The way that we "fix" the weighting problem down here in LA (i.e. Louisiana, the other L.A.) is to place a zinc coated Daisy Brand BB in the anterior end of the mylar tube. Thus, the forward weighted Zonker will not only “track”, but it also has a nice “jiggy” action.

By the way, if you're tying a larger sized Zonker, you can add two BB's.

My favorite pattern is:

size 6 streamer hook

wire weighted body

then wrap the body with red or pink yarn

slide a pearl mylar tube over it

secure each end

impale the rabbit strip at the hook so that the fur is on the point side

secure the strip at the head

add a throat of red marabou (optional but sometimes makes a difference)

add a grizzly marabou feather by the tip just ahead of the throat and wrap around once

add dome stick on eyes.

I've never had a problem with this one swimming off-kilter, impaling the fur on the hook eliminates the annoying step of tying it at the bend, and all kinds of fish will take it at this size.