Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Brood X Cicada

Well after much experimentation I finally came up with a decent Cicada pattern that imitates the Brood X species that will be infesting my region in May. Mr. Hubbard turned me onto Balsa awhile back and I think it makes a perfect Cicada body and should give an extra "splat" when hitting the water compared to a foam or hair pattern. For the legs I used knotted orange Larva Lace and mounted them by making small holes in the balsa and then anchoring them with epoxy. The eyes are painted sewing needles and the wings are a material called "wing 'n flash" that I picked up at a local shop. I believe this fly should be almost indestructible so the amount of time that was spent IMO justifys the final outcome. I think I have a total of 1 1/2 hrs in this fly and that is not counting the time waiting for the epoxy to dry. I'd appreciate any feedback, ideas or suggestions.

user posted image

user posted image

What kind of alien bugs you got in cinncinatti dunno.gif

Just kidding man, that thing looks damn cool. I wonder if maybe you should try something a little less glossy though? Would a natural cicada be that shiny?

John

John I would have to agree these are some freaky looking bugs and they make the most awful sound especially when there is a million of them!!!

I was thinking about the "glossy" comment and I coated the fly with epoxy which is a practice that I have always seen on balsa bodied flies. It might have to be coated with something because the balsa might absorb water and cause the fly to sink after a while, but I might be wrong about that dunno.gif

Anyway I found a pic of the Brood X Cicada for anyone interested in seeing the real thing

user posted image

Those are some freaky lookin bugs man, how big are they? I know that you usually cover balsa with epoxy, do you paint the body then epoxy or epoxy then paint? IF you epoxy then paint, you can buy flat black paint at any model shop.

john

Hey SH,

That looks pretty good........far better than anything I have come up with......It is definitly more durable. That wing material should give you a lot of flash, I like that. At first i was going to suggest putting a big orange spot on the back for better visibility in low light, but those wings should be easy to spot. Just curious, what size hook are you using and how long is your body? I believe in another thread, you mentioned these buggers were 1 1/2" long?

Mike

The bug itself not including the wing is about 1 1/2" long. The hook that I used was a size 2 Mustad popper hook.

John,

I painted the fly first and then epoxied it and I have never seen a fly where the paint is the outter shell, I'm not sure how durable the paint would be without the protective epoxy coating. I'm sure someone more knowledgable about paint and epoxy could let us know what you can get away with.

nice stripes, Will...got mine into the mail to you this morning...you should get them by Saturday...I must say...this time I think you have out done me....Now I have to go back to the bench and paint the bodies I left to dry....I have a really nice flourescent orange from Testors (Walmart)....should be a great contrast, especially in the twilight hours....great fly...great job....but wait until you see Big Daddy's Hopper Popper!!!! tongue.gif

And as far as it being glossy...have you ever seen a bug in the water that didn't look glossy? dunno.gif wink.gif

John,

if you have never seen one, these things are huge!!!! Monsterous looking things and noisy as a Mack truck....fishing will be tough once the hatch hits a saturation point, so we are hoping to hit the hatch early before the fish become too acculmated to the abundant food supply.....But, yeah, these things are big and ugly...alot like Steeldrifter!! biggrin.gif

Will, you did have a good teacher, didn't you? cool.gif

Actually OSD this paticular Brood only comes every 17 years and is the biggest of all the Cicada broods.

considering how the natural looks your fly is great and don;t worry about the gloss naturals will get glossy when wet

i'd try to get some pale orange in the wings like the naturals

i have considered that as well, but the wings or mostly transparent anyway...we are just trying for a representation tyoe pattern, not a fuul blown imitation...don't think it will have to be that exact for bass....