Fly Tying
Moushka

Compact Fly Tying Table with wings

Moushka: Seems like the trick for me is to keep the floor cleared off -- once I start stacking stuff there, it's all over. I've found that the clear-sided 11x16" Rubbermaid tubs in various heights fit well on the bookcase, but the larger ones need to go behind the scenes, or all of a sudden there's a narrow path to the desk.

Guess I'll take another shot at clearing off the office floor now.

--Bill

SWEET!!! i need to make a fly tying bench because all i use is my computer dask and have to keep all my materials in a little tupaware cabinet!!!lol also i dont really have any room.

your a lifesaver mouskha. I have a similar set up that was a sewing table of my girlfriends. when she got fed up with me thinking of spending all kinds of money to build a nice one she gave it to me. Its similar to yours except it has drawers built into both ends. after seeing the pics of yours, I think I can modify it some to fit my lapbench on it, then attach a light and magnifing lamp also. Thnx for the pics. I think my girlfriend loves ya now. :hyst:

That's great! I really like the idea of converting a sewing machine cabinet into a fly tying table (I hate to sew!) and think of the big bucks you're saving!

not too mention all the treads and needles that were in there as well. Those long thick sewing needles are great as an alternate bodkin. I took an old tip of a fishin rod sanded down the rough edges, put alittle super glue in it, and stuck one of those needles in it. makes a unique bodkin, saved a few bucks, and put a wrecked rod tip to use as well.

Hey guys I found a good storage solution for materials. You can go to IKEA and get ready to assemble light wieght wooden boxes with a variety of drawer sizes. You can mount them on the wall behind your bench. They're great. Check em out!