Fly Tying
Fly Tyer Guy

Realistic Flies

Post your realistic flies here and post your tying steps and materials(but you don't have to post them you can do just pictures if you want). I would really appreciate it. :D Thanks

Fly Tyer Guy

Hey Fly Tyer Guy,

Those look super, even being so blurry.

Do you have a macro setting on your camera? I use an old 3mp camera, and my pics used to look like that, until I started using the LCD screen for focusing on the fly, instead of the little view finder. I find it much easier to look through the view finder, especially when taking fly pics outdoor in natural light, but the focusing sucks, becasue the view finder is not looking through the lens. The LCD looks through the lens and can frame and focus on small objects in macro mode. It's just a suggestion, I'd really like to see your fly's in focus because it looks like you have some serious skills.

Cheers,

Graham

Try this. I Could not find macro setting on my camera it's a kodak cx7300 could you see if there is something I could do to make my pictures a little clearer

post-4590-1142341999_thumb.jpg

Hey fly tyer guy,

I think your camera does have a macro mode. There must be a little button somewhere and if pressed probably puts a little tulip looking flower in the corner of the lcd, so allert you thats it's in macro focus.

camera info

Before leaning to use the macro on my camera, I would have to back off from super close shots, to get decent focus, and then zoom in in shotoshop, and crop the area around the fly. I hope you have the instruction book that came with your camera?

Graham

Heres a caddis pupa I did a while ago. Not great but it was my first try at a realistic.

IPB Image

And a couple of mayflies, trying to make them fishable with one feather for the wing instead of the plastic wings.

IPB Image

I just thought that you would like to know how I make wings

First I take a laminating sheet(the kind that is not sticky until you heat it up NOTE:you will not be heating it up) and scratch the outline of the wing and scratch the veins and cross veins. Cut it out with your scizzors(I cheat I use a punch my dad made for me :P ). Then put a drop of super glue on the wing and use a peice of foam to rub it on(keep the foam moving otherwise it will get stuck on the wing). Theese should look almost perfect :thumbsup: . I hope you like how the wings turn out :D

F.T.G