Fly Tying

Quick tips for the bench!!

We have be neglecting the Tip forum for a while now, and I have finally found the time to update it a bit and share some new info. I apologize for the lack of attention.

Stop Squinting!!

A great way to improve the visibility of your dry flies is to substitute a looped wing of flashabou for the wing. It is readily available in almost any color you can imagine and can be easily colored with a permanent marker. At the wing postion, tie in a small bunch of Flash with the ends extending towards the hook gap. Now pull thge end towards your tie in point and, making a small loop. Tie it off and you're done!

Fat Nymphs

Popular nymph patterns are more than not tied with some peacock herl. Prince nymphs, Zug Bugs, and other popular patterns require you to wind peacock herl up the hook shank. An easy way to get fat looking nymphs and to speed up the tying considerably is to twist or braid several strands of herl together before you tie it in. (I use at least six strands, but have used as many as 9). Once braided or twisted, tie it in as you normally would. Now wind the herl up the shank and tie it off. No need to wrap several strands singulary and give great results. It also helps toughen the body of your fly. Another great way to get meatier looking bugs is to substitute ostrich for the peacock. The peacock is bulkier and breathes in the water.

Seeing in the Dark

Fishing low light situations with dries can be very challenging. A great way to increase your visibility is to use a flourescent material in your wing. One product that is suggested is "Everglow". Flourescent egg yarn fibers work well, also. Experiment and find what works best for you!

Once again, I must thank Mr. Dick Stewart for his pearls of wisdom!

Another way to help identify flies on the water is to use a color that your polarized sunglasses may happen to emphasize. I wear perscription polarized vermillion glasses and green seems to stand out for me. On surface flies, I tie in a little green and it serves as a beacon for me.

Now if only the bonefish would show a little more green than olive, I would be better equipped at seeing them through a wind-ripped surface.

Other helps at the tying bench:

I use Sally Hansen's, but don't like the brush in the bottle. I removed the brush (save the cap). Buy a package of large sewing needless and insert through the Sally's Hansens cap and into some handle that feels comfortable (I use pieces of driftwood from different areas that I have fished....Hawaii, RI, Seychelles, Australia) some use tips off of antlers. It's a bodkin with the cap between the handle and the needle.

This helps get the cement exactly where I want (not on the hackle), and is still easy to screw on/off and handle...expecially those of us with big hands.

Put a cutting board under your vise. I bought a wooden cutting board with a little "moat" surrounding it that catches barbells, etc that I drop. It also serves as a cutting surface with the razor blade (tapering the end of mono/plastic ribbing material).

Hope the picture turns out so that visualization clarifies the directions:

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Jan 15 2004, 02:55 PM)
We have be neglecting the Tip forum for a while now, and I have finally found the time to update it a bit and share some new info. I apologize for the lack of attention.

Stop Squinting!!

A great way to improve the visibility of your dry flies is to substitute a looped wing of flashabou for the wing. It is readily available in almost any color you can imagine and can be easily colored with a permanent marker. At the wing postion, tie in a small bunch of Flash with the ends extending towards the hook gap. Now pull thge end towards your tie in point and, making a small loop. Tie it off and you're done!

Fat Nymphs

Popular nymph patterns are more than not tied with some peacock herl. Prince nymphs, Zug Bugs, and other popular patterns require you to wind peacock herl up the hook shank. An easy way to get fat looking nymphs and to speed up the tying considerably is to twist or braid several strands of herl together before you tie it in. (I use at least six strands, but have used as many as 9). Once braided or twisted, tie it in as you normally would. Now wind the herl up the shank and tie it off. No need to wrap several strands singulary and give great results. It also helps toughen the body of your fly. Another great way to get meatier looking bugs is to substitute ostrich for the peacock. The peacock is bulkier and breathes in the water.

Seeing in the Dark

Fishing low light situations with dries can be very challenging. A great way to increase your visibility is to use a flourescent material in your wing. One product that is suggested is "Everglow". Flourescent egg yarn fibers work well, also. Experiment and find what works best for you!

Once again, I must thank Mr. Dick Stewart for his pearls of wisdom!

Hi, I'm new here - great Forum! I just thought I would add a comment to Big Daddy's great tips. Maybe most of you are familiar w/this technique, but if anyone isn't, it's handy....

When tying fat herl bodies - ty in your peacock herl as normal then create a thread loop just as you would for a dubbing loop. Then clamp on your hackle pliers and twist it into a peacock chennille. Wind on and tie off just as you would chenille. Easy to work with and the th thread in the loop makes it tough!

Chris

great tip....we did the same tip a few months back and it got a lot of interest...especially form our novice tiers. Nice follow up and a great tip re-visisted! Thanks, Chris, and welcome to the site!!!

thanks a lot for the tips

i am a 14 year old fly tyer and i just stated about a week ago. they really help and keeping up on the tip of the day is really helpful for us novice fly tyers

thanks