Fly Tying
lanvaettir

San Juan Midge Patterns

They are actually easier to tie than most patterns. The hardest thing to do is to safely get them in the vise. It's really hard to explain to your wife that a size 26 hook is loose somewhere in the living room wallbash.gif

What are the ones at the bottom? I was fishing over in PA at fishermans Paradise one evening and a guy gave me one very similar in a size 22 which I managed to lose in under 5 minutes. sad.gif I'd like to tie some of those.

The midges on the bottom are bead heads. They are a tungsten bead on a scud hook with a thread body and a wire wrap. Red, white and olive all work well as droppers on the San Juan and the Green. Are these common out East?

It seems like the a lot of the PA streams tend be very conducive to fishing the tiny flies like that. I don't know if it's be cause they seem to be a little shallower on average than the MI stream I fish or what it is but I seem to get a lot more small fly action over there. Most times it's more a matter have need than preference over there.