Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
UpaCrick

Mallard Drake

Hello to everyone. First time caller...er, poster and not real sure if this if the right forum or not. Sorry if I'm wrong. Here goes, a buddy killed a Mallard drake yesterday and I was wasnting to know the best way to save the feathers? I've got the whole bird outside in the cold as I type. Should I just use a sharp pair of kitchen shears to cut off the wings? What feathers other than the flanks should I save? Any use for those pretty head feathers?

Thanks for the help. You definately have a very good, informative site. I'm sure to gain much from all of you.

Thanks,

UpaCrick

How's it going, Glen?! Glad to see you found us! I apologize for the late response, I just came across it.

If you can skin the bird whole, you cna save the entire skin by simply salting and drying the "hide"....Borax works well, also. If you just want to save individual feathers, pluck the feathers you want to use and store them in baggies, labeled appropriately. One thing I would suggest is to place the feathers, or skin if you go that route, in the freezer for a few days to make sure any mites or other nasties that may be lurking in the fibers are dead. If not, they may continue to feed on the feathers and ruin your stash before you know it.

The feathers on the head are very useful to the tier. They can be used as cheeks on smaller patterns. They can also be used as a nice blend in dubbing applications. I took some fibers from the hood of a green drake and blended it with some black dubbing....nice results with subtle hints of irredescent green...used it for a few black sedges.....hopefully, some of the other fellas may have some more suggestions.

Tight Lines!

Welcome to this friendly forum.

Personnly I would save the whole skin.

The bronze barred feathers where the wings join the body are very good for spey and Irish wets,the cdc feathers round the preen gland make good wings and loads of uses for the flank/breast feathers.

Ashley

the feathers from the hood may also be large enough and stiff enough to use as wings in dry fly patterns...forgot to add that...

Welcome.

Pay a visit to www.flyanglersonline.com; scroll to the bottom and find the icon for "Dressing Atlantic Flies", hosted by Ronn Lucas. In the section, scroll down to 'Skinning Birds' - very worthwhile reading.

As everyone here knows, I am a BIG duck hunter. Therefore, I have plenty of duck feathers. All I do to the ducks is just find out what I need, and what other people want, and just pluck those. No need in havin bags and bags of feathers layin around that you`re not gonna use. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Thanks for all the good stuff. Nice link! I'll probably just go the easy route baby.gif and pluck it. I was told that I could put a couple of moth balls in with the feathers, seal, wait a few days and all would good(dead). What about the odor from the moth balls?

UpaCrick

It will stink, but if you seal it, everything will be just fine. Won`t hurt the feathers at all. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck