Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FrenchCreek

AN OPEN LETTER

AN OPEN LETTER

TO: DBL HAUL – Piker Fly R&D Dept.

SUBJECT: Wooly Bully Pink Variation

Test Summary:

You submitted the subject fly for our field testing program 2 seasons ago, after your laborious R&D shop came up with this design. Our testing was comprehensive and thorough. The subject fly came through with flying, albeit somewhat unusual colors. During the testing period, the subject fly was scrutinized by several fellow anglers who affectionately dubbed it with additional monikers such as; The Pink Floyd, The Commie Fly, The Sexually Altered fly, and finally, the Pinko-Dinko. Others were more reserved and adapted quite well to its given name.

Species Targeted: Pike

Seasons: Spring, Summer and Fall fisheries

Duration of test: Approximately 6 hours of hard core fishing with the subject

Species caught: Pike and Walleye

Test Platform: Power Boat and Pontoon

Test equipment: 9 Wt. dry line 50% of the time and Sink Tip line 50% of the time

Test Area: 4 Central and Southern Alberta lakes and one North West Territories lake

TEST RESULTS:

The subject fly was solely responsible for the successful capture and release of over 15 Pike and two Walleye. Pike ranged from one 22 pounder, 5 pike in the 15 to 20 pounds, and at least a dozen other smaller pike. This attests to your claims of attractiveness to pike and durability in the face of toothy critter mouths. There were at least 4 “first Cast” fish caught, among them the 22 pounder, and on average, 60% of the fish caught were attracted during the first 5 casts. It is my contention that the flashy material used in the design is a key factor to the success of the subject fly. Being Metrosexual myself, I can't bring myself to comment further on the color scheme.

The subject fly has now been retired to our Hall of Fame and archived in the category of “BEST PATTERNS”. It is blind on one side and requires serious surgery to the other eye. The body has deteriorated, understandably so, and we just cannot justify using this subject in any further testing as it would be cruel and unusual punishment, as can be verified in the attached picture.

RECOMMENDATION:

Our primary concern with this subject fly which further testing will clarify is that we had one occasion whereby a small pike, about 22 inches long, refused the fly several times before deciding to actually eat it. It is our opinion that this fish was either scared of becoming bi-sexual or of being constantly teased by his buddies for being attracted to a pink fly. Further testing of our theory requires that you send us a full dozen so that we may conclude our field-testing program in the many lakes we are planning to use at testing grounds over the coming seasons.

post-1049-1149644249_thumb.jpg

Nice report :headbang:

Can we get a recipe on this bad boy?

I did not know that pink was a good pike color.

Very thorough report French Creek. Nothing stands up like independent testing. Congratulations Mark :headbang:

Thanks for that very thorough and introspective summary, Pete. :D

For those of you who are looking for a recipe, the pattern has been in the database for quite some time now.

Also, chartruese is a good color, followed closely by white. But they don't hold a candle to pink.

Hmmm guess I'll be teaching Daisy how to steal fly boxes.

:nono:

I'll do you one better......I'll bring some with me when we hook up in the near future. And you don't need to teach that dog to steal anything; it comes naturally to her. ;)