Fly Tying
mikeflyguy

Mikes first fly

post-4401-1152064326_thumb.jpgWell this is the first one. It is number 14 nymph hook with a bunch of crap on it.

One question, how do you cement it properly so the whole tie doesn't spin around the hook?

Hey Mike

Looking good, as for not having everything spin around on the hook try starting the thread about one eye length back from the eye and tye it down tightly by wraping the thread back on itself. Hope this helps.

Paul

Hey Mike

Looking good, as for not having everything spin around on the hook try starting the thread about one eye length back from the eye and tye it down tightly by wraping the thread back on itself. Hope this helps.

Paul

It just keeps everthing from unraveling once your done.

someone told me clear as nails clear fingernail polish does the same is that true? -chris

Cant see the pic. Starting near the eye wrap the thread rearward. If you cover the hook shank with a smooth thread base. Then spiral wrap back it will give everything else a solid base. You can even coat the thread wraps with head cement before starting the fly. Let it dry and nothing should spin.

You can also add a half hitch or two at every step. Like tail, body, wing, etc. and add a bit of head cement to the half hitch knot. Good thread pressure and making sure all your steps are tied in right will also help.

So now that I have had a week to practice tying flies I woud like to thank everyone for their input. My learning curve has been quite steep due to the advise everyone has given me. The smallest thing I have tied is a 18 nymph and dry caddis. I am going to get to the river to see if these flies are acceptable from the fishes point of view.

Carver,

Talk to you soon as I am on vacation for the next two weeks.

i dont even use cement i just use 5 half hitches around the eye

come to think of i dont even own cement its not needed so i spend my money on something else