Fly Tying
colbyjack

your favorite fly

Here is a nymph that I use often. It is just a general sort of pattern that seems to work for many species and situations. I also like the curved hooks as they are good at hooking and holding fish, pinching the barb will not reduce your landing success.

post-582-1152196765_thumb.jpg

looks good, what hook is that? i only bought 2 packs of hooks. i didnt get any real curved ones. what brand, size and model is that? im going to try to tie that this week thanks -chris

Chris, the hook is a Mustad 37160. It is not a hook you will use for a lot of patterns so probably you wont want to buy too many. That said, I do like it and many patterns can be tied on it. My suggestions for hooks and flies to fill your box would be the Mustad 90240 for dries and some wets, Mustad 3906 for wets (though you can use the 90240 instead) and 9671 for buggers and streamers. These are the work-horses of the Mustad fleet and probably account for 80% of all fish catches on Mustad hooks. Other companies make really good (often better) hooks but I just don't know their numbers though you can find hook comparison charts by searching on google.

As for patterns I would make sure my box contained for nymphs: Prince nymphs and Hares Ear nymphs, for dries: Adams, Hendrickson and elk hair caddis, for streamers/buggers: Wooly Buggers in a few earthy colours and most with bead or cone heads but a few without. Also a couple of Zonkers a bucktail or two and a Grey Ghost and Black Ghost. You can find all these patterns and photos of them in the pattern database here.

the other pattern you want to keep is a stonefly pattern.In black,brown,or golden on a size 10 curved nymph hook they will work wonders.IPB Image

A wooly bugger in white with a touch of crystal flash or flashabou in the tail can be effective. Another to never leave home without is a pheasant tail nymph in standard, beadhead and flashback. No pics, but you can find patterns by google-ing the names.

Mike

Cadillac, MI

I like a plain ole elk hair caddis. I've caught more fish on that recently than any other fly. As for nymphs, I don't use a lot of nymphs, but I like copper johns and any of Charlie Craven's midges.

~Bryce

My favorite and most easy to tie for pan fish is the foam spider. This is the #1 bug I use and It kills here in Idaho for crappie and Blue Gill.

Overall I like the olive and black bugger and also red and black bugger works well for me.

Lately I have been tying the Hares Ear nymph in natural which has been a good nymph on the Boise river...

For dry is either the Elk Hare Caddis or the Stimulator.

I hope this helps you... Todd