Fly Tying
Mustang Mike

Hackle feather grading

I am not very well informed as to the "grade" of hackle feathers. It appears, based on my limited experience and limited usage thus far, (a dangerous thing indeed), that premium is the best quality (genetically bred monsters with "perfectly" formed hackle feathers), followed by grade 1, followed by grade 2, etc. Is this correct? Is there a chart or something? Just to clarify, I DO understand/see the difference in shape and length, just not the grading scale itself. The premium looks to have more/better feathers, but then, I've only bought one cape in premium, so what do I know???. :dunno:

Also, if I may, a related question. I've noticed that costs of hackle feathers vary even within a grade. I can understand a difference in price between premiums and let’s say grade "x", but what's up with cost differences when the grade is the same?? (What I mean is OUTSIDE the fact that one guy just flat charges more!!) :angry:

Whiting grades their hackle on the number of flies you'll get from the saddle or neck....the hackle quality is all superb. You'll just tie more withe higher grade. Metz will sometimes downgrade a neck because of a minor imperfection on the neck such as a pimple or other mark...in every other way the neck could be number 1. If you're lucky enough to have suppliers nearby I wouild shop for necks and saddles in person. Both AK Best and Dick Talleur have written on the selection process for necks and saddles( as well as I'm sure many others) In Advanced Fly Tying AK advocates buying number 3 necks. He also dyes lot of his own necks and has an excellent book out on bleaching and dying. You can also buy cream colored saddles and color the feather with a Pantone waterproof marker. Dave Hughes advocates doing this if you only need to tie a few of a pattern that calls for off colors. Another strategy when you are starting is to buy have half necks so you can have a greater variety of colors. Necks will give you a greater hook size range than saddles which typically have a lot of feather in only two or three sizes. Tha's pretty much it a nutshell with the emphasis on nut!!!(me....LOL)

All the best,

Hot Tuna

To answer the last part of your question, some hackle suppliers just have better hackle. Company A's grade 1 capes might have 300 feathers, while company B's grade 1 will only have 200. Also company A's hackle might have more feathers in the smaller size range than company B's and if you don't tie small stuff you might not need to spend the extra money on Company A's hackle. Other things they look for are a quill that doesn't twist and is supple, Barb stiffness for dry hackle, webbiness for wet fly hackle, feather length, and size range

Alex raises some excellent extra points...I was addressing selecting dry fly hackle. There are other smaller breeders that have some excellent product. For example Charlie Collins breeds for suppleness of quill.

Other options for lesser known brands are Harelines dry fly saddles..an excellent value and Keough tiers grade. You can go broke buying dry fly hackle...I know from experience.

Recovering hackle junky,

Hot Tuna

:lol: I've found that for 99% of my tying whiting saddle hackles are great for almost all of my tying. I get "silver" grade capes for $20-$25 a piece and they are excellent for dries, nymphs, whatever.

I guess back in the day, all the companies graded by 1, 2, 3. I'm not sure but I think Whiting threw a monkey wrench into the system by starting to grade theirs platinum, gold, silver, bronze, etc.

In my opinion, you don't really need to fuss alot over if it's a silver, or a 3 or a tyers grade. Just if it has what type of feathers you need for the flies you tie.

Mike

This is just my .02 worth your mileage may vary. I started with Keough tyers grade hackle because it was the

only thing the local shop had. It is very inexpensive and on that basis probably alright. If you are just

starting out and don't want to spend too much up front go for it.

I have had occasion to tye with a little higher grade hackle and don't think I will use the Keough again except for saddles. I will need hackle again in Oct. and expect to buy it from Denny at conranch.com. I have never

heard a bad word or read a negative comment on his feathers. If I could not do that I would probably

bite the bullet and spend the big dollars on a whiting silver grade.

I live on social security and try to go as cheap as I can. But for my tying I have decided that hackle is the one place I don't want to skimp. What ever you buy just have fun.

Tight lines

Tom

To answer another question Mike. The probable reasons for two grade 2s skins being different prices are

1) They're from different breeders/suppliers.

2) They're different colours.

On 2: The big hackle suppliers concentrate on certain varieties of hackle, Grizzle or brown for instance. Therefore the number of birds that are likely to come out as rusty dun may be only 2% of the total flock and within that 2% only 1.5% are likely to attain a grade 2 rusty dun. Obviously then the #2 rusty dun is much rarer than the #2 grizzle from that breeder and commands a higher price due to that rarity value.

If you want standard colours I'd go for Whiting or Metz in silver/grade 2. They give a reasonable guarentee of all important barb density and length. If you want subtle shades I'd go for Collins skins in grade 2 or 1.

My personal experience is that grade 3 capes generally have thicker, springier stems with less barb density and are more prone to twist so I steer clear now.

I strongly advise you to have a good old read of this article. It might give you a clearer idea and if not it's a damn good read anyway. :)

Thanks for the information gents! The article that Alex suggested was quite helpful as well!! I went so far as to print out the article and put it in my binder for future reference.

You've all helped to clear up the mystery for me!

Joe is being modest...so I'll pitch for him...check out all the wonderful Hebert progrades currently listed on Ebay under seller ID dettetroutflies. I have so many already Joe but some of those colors look very tempting!

John