Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
garetjax

Closed cell foam... Reccomendations?

I am working on tying my first ever fly. I chose to tie a black beetle using closed cell foam. However, I am unsure of the proper foam I should be using to do this with. Can anyone reccomend and/or provide links to foam that should be used for black beetles?

Go to any local store and get yourself some craft foam for a quarter. For the most part that is the same stuff that is sold in fly shops....

I got my foam at Walmart, $5 got me all the foam I need. They have several colors, with or without adhesive backing. The thickness is 2mm, check it out and see if its what you are looking for.

I get craft foam from wally world, among others. comes in packages of sheets of mixed colors. and it's CHEAP. Look around while you're there and you'll find lots of stuff you can use instead of paying the big bucks for it at the fly shop.

I've used my dog, my cat,my brother's dog and cat, my 16yr old, candy bar wrappers, carpeting, brooms, wine bottle corks, Tyvek, etc. Look around.

The foam I would like to aquire is a more pliable, open cell type foam. What I am trying to accomplish is obtain the same foam that is on a foam beetle that I am using as a template to make my own foam beetle. I'll see if I can't post a photo of what ; MS talking about and see if that helps you guys any figure out what kind of foam it really is.