Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Debarbing hooks

I always de-barb my hooks prior to tying, I'd hate to snap a hook after I tied a fly. For the record, I've only snapped small hooks while de-barbing and I've fairly sure that is was a user error issue; as in I grabbed too much hook. I really like the Tiemco hooks because they have a very fine barb that mashes very flush to the hook. I've only snapped size 16 Dai-Riki's.

Salmonator, do what works best for you. I said it was bull because it's just not true. If you have more confidence in a hook with a barb, then you should use them. I am speaking from my own experience & the experience of several professional saltwater guides for which I've tied flies.

TroutBum, I've been told the same! If the barbless hook doesn't fall out of the mouth of a Tarpon, why would it fall out of other fish?

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying that when it happens the most likely reason is that the fish was never hooked very well to begin with. It's more likely to me, that the hook didn't penetrate, whether because it was a little dull, or the rod/line combination was not stiff enough to force the hook to penetrate, or whatever. There could be other reasons that you lose the fish of a lifetime that are much more likely than the hook being barbless.

A lost fish is a lost fish either way! wink.gif

I'm with Troutman: if I am intent on bringing something home, I leave the barb. Otherwise, when I'm fishing catch and release, I mash it down on the water with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

I have had many occassions when I'm in a school of White Bass or Wipers, and am losing more fish than usual. I check the fly and BAM, I've forgotten to mash the barb. A quick job with the pliers and I'm bringing to hand a clearly higher percentage of fish with the exact same fly.

Plus, it makes release a lot easier. I don't even have to touch the fish if I don't want to. I just slide my hand down the leader and pop the fly out. Fly fishing for Carp on a light tippet, I like to use a de-barbed fine wire hook if I can get away with it. They have tough mouths!