Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stumun

Hackel help

Ooooooooook I've been asked to tye a few flies for a guy i know, they're bigger than i've tied before and have a long thick hackel but i'm having problems getting them to sweep backwards?!?!? i've tried tying back over the fron end but this doesnt seem to be doingthe trick too well, suggestions?

Cheers as always,

Stu

Without knowing the pattern I would say you could fold the hackle and tie it in, or remove the fibers on one side of the shaft and tie in flat as you would on a spey.

The above suggestions are good. Another is to tie it in by the tip, making sure the curve of the hackle is toward the rear, then as you wind it, stroke it to the rear. Three of four winds with a soft hackle should do it. It goes without saying that you need a soft barbed saddle or neck hackle. Definitely not dry fly quality. If the barbs are stiff, it won't have the action you want.

Also, prep the feather by stripping the fibers where you tie it in. Tie it in with so that your first wrap or so is stripped quill. It will help you get it going the right direction easier before the fibers go down.