Fly Tying
Mustang Mike

Monofiliment eyes

I'm going to be doing some flies that have monofiliment eyes. A size 8 fly to be exact. I think know the technique on how to make them, but I'm not too sure on what weight to use. I don't have anything above 8 lb test line, so .... :help:

Hi mike

I use 50 lb salt water line

.028" diameter

The smallest spool I could find was 275 yards

If you want some, I haven't even put a dent in this spool, shoot me a pm and I'll send you a few feet, it lasts forever

P.S. this is the same stuff I use for weedguards, It;s a little tough to work with but stiffer on the finished fly

Pauly

I save all my old tapered leader butts for most of my smaller mono eyes. Because they are tapered, they will do a number of different size flies.

For larger flies like pike I use weedeater line. I like the chartruce green or bright blue better than the clear. If you hold the flame just close enough to melt it into a ball without burning or blackening it, it will hold it's color.

Go to the bulk line/reel loading center of a convention tackle store that specializes in bluewater tackle.

Explain that you're a fly tyer (which by their definition makes you a "strange" indiviual), and ask to either:

A. Go through their old line recycling barrel,

B. Purchase 15-20 ft. of several of their larger line sizes from their bulk spools, or

C. Ask if they have any bulk spools that don't have enough line to "load" a reel that they'll give/sell ya'

My experience is that vertually every shop will gladly meet at least two of these three request.

Even if they charge ya' for the short lengths of new line, or a bulk spool with 20-90 yds., it will only be a few pennys per ft. or a few bucks per spool and you will have enough eye material in several sizes to last you and 20 of your closest tying buddies for the next ten years!

Kyle

I guess it depends on how big you want the eyes to be. For shrimp I use 20# or 25# test mono.

I clip 1/2" lengths, hold it in the middle with long nosed pliers, and melt about 1/8" on each end with a candle. It often catches fire on me, but I just blow it out quickly, before it has time to discolor. I also keep a dish of water at hand, and, after the ends have both melted into balls, I drop the whole thing into the water. It only takes a second for the mono to cool enough to use.

I've used everything from #16 Masons to #40

Usually I use whatever size will just fit inside a small glass bead - I melt the ends and slide the bead down against a flat surface and coat with Sally Hansons or Loon...you should see how they look with red glass beads! ;)