Fly Tying
Gregg A

Sport, Hobby, or Activity

What Do You Consider Fly Fishing/Tying  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can see that flyfishing/tying can be different things to different people and I believe it is all good. Fishing by itself has been a platform which I have used to spend time with and raise my kids. Flyfishing is something deeper and less explainable. When I was little I remember my Dad realizing that I loved fishing as much as he did, showing me a mysterious little flat, green metal box full of small feathered things stuck in little silver clips. I know I am over emphasizing the box, but when he opened it, something grabbed at me. the mystery of them, the "feel" of them the way he fished them. The hours I spent watching him cast to rising fish from the small wooden boat he had built. I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach, when he tied a fly onto my line and trolled me slowly along the brush that lined the shore of Dougans' Lake where he had taken me. The fish that took my fly, started me down a path I still follow many years later. It is as much a part of me as breathing. :)

Last Sunday I was steelhead fishing for 5 hours. It seemed like 2. In heaven there are no clocks. So where did the 3 hours go? I must have been in heaven. Sometimes tying at the bench creates the same effect.

Any temporal concerns I had upon returning to the car were the ONLY important ones, because all the foolish ones had dropped away. Therapeutic, restorative, providing the space for reflection and perspective, forcing a world view (from conservation to obscure tying materials) - fly fishing may not be the only practice for achieving this state, but it certainly works for me.

When people ask what i do, I usualy answer Fishing rather than my career. Been fishing since befor i can remember. Same as my dad and his dad ect ect. My brother is the same way. Its deffinantly a way of life for me.

And i feel it fills all of the catagories:

Sport

Hobby

Recreational Activity

My Life's Blood

It's Just Something I Do

It can be any of those things at differant times. I also enjoy many differant hobbies, but alot of them do relate to fishing.