Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

fly collers

when using hackle to make fly collers...does it have to be spey hackle or can it be any kind of hackle?

i dont even know what spey hackle is...i just notice that it is more rounded and softer?

can anyone show me some flies that have collers on them?

thanks

-sniksoh-

It depends on what sort of fly you are tying. Spey hackle is long and webby. Great for Spey/Dee style flies but too long for say..a wooley bugger. Schlappen (spelling?) is another term that you will come across...very long and beautiful when used for it's intended purpose.

What sort of patterns are you planning to tie?

well sometimes when i see pictures of wooly buggers...some have stiff hackle but then others have more soft whispy hackle...what kind is the more whispy kind?

Hackle for buggers would fall under what's usually referred to as streamer hackle. At least one great company sells what they call "Bugger Packs". It's very nice webby hackle that's long enough to palmer a big bug like a bugger.

I'm not sure, but you can get great deals on Indian necks and other real webby hackle that would do great. The great thing about streamer hackle, as opposed to quality dry fly hackle, is it's cheap.

Actually, for wetfly collars as well as buggers, and other submersables, you should be using soft saddle hackles. The Indian and Chinese saddles work well for this, and yes, I'd recommend either a bugger pack or strung saddle. The softer barbs give an undulating motion in the water that looks more alive.

Chinese and Indian necks have stiffer barbs. The larger feathers can be used on buggers and streamers where a bit more stiffness is desirable, but I find them too stiff for collars. I do use stripped barbs for beards, though, and that seems to be OK. Generally dryfly quality hackle is unsuitable for submersables, there's simply no action.

I actually tie all of my buggers collar style rather than the traditional hackle style. If you look in either my patterns or my photo gallery, the buggers are tied with strung rooster or saddle hackle. It's the stuff strung together in little bags that you can find just about anywhere (even loose in bags in the craft shops). Another common material for collars is hen hackle, which is very webby, short, and rounded. In my patterns, the Easy Damsel uses a pheasant body feather and the Bleeding Leech uses a partridge feather.

Basically, any hackle (although not usually dry fly quality hackle) can be used for the collar. It just depends on what look you are going for.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...amp;showid=3207

This is good fly that has more than produced for me. You can see the collar and the red dubbing too.

The collar was made with a feather from a saddle patch. If you turn the patch over so you are looking at the skin, the large feathers at the top have nice webby hackles. These are also called schlappen feathers.

A chickabou skin or hen skin has nothing but soft hackle feathers and are perfect for collars and soft hackles.

Brahma hen is also a great choice because it is very close to having the same markings as hungarian partridge.

Good luck,

Frank

It all depends what the collar is going to be for. Schlappen makes a good hackle on many flies, though a soft webby hacke will do.....maybe a hen cape would't go a miss.

Good luck :hyst:

Chris

:D