Fly Tying

FTOTY 2nd Round Voting!!!

Great lookin flies, wonder how some would fish. My vote went to the fly that would catch fish, not look good in a photo.

Next question, if there is a realistic catagory. How did a realistic win the trout dry fly. Shouldn't been in the realistic catagory, not trout dry fly.

Next year I think this contest should be broke into, the art of fly tying and fishable flies. Flies that will catch fish.

Carl

Carl,

I believe you are mistaken. That was a rule this year, the fly would have to be able to be fished as a dry fly to be entered into that category. Based on what I seen of the fly I made the decision that it could indeed be fished as a dry fly. It may not be practical to fish a fly like that but it is indeed possible.

That was your own personal criteria on how to judge, you cannot expect other members to judge the same way you did. Other people may judge based on the creativity of the fly and could care less about how many fish it would catch. That is their right...

I agree with Carl about the realistics.

I have a lot of respect for the time and skill required to create realistic flies but they are not practical to fish with.

I made note this year that if I want to try to win something from this contest you need to create a photogenic fly with a heavy emphasis on realistic traits, eliminating any effort to create a fly that would be durable or increase the fish-ability of the fly.

Every contest has boundaries for competition and overall this is a very well run contest. My only objection is that the flies that catch fish and would be fished in real conditions are at a disadvantage here because they are allowed to mix with realistic patterns in the same categories.

srfrsean

First off congrats to everyone that won their catagory! And thanks again to Will for all the time and work to do this. :headbang:

I see I didn't win with any of mine :ripped: Ha! Ha! (no suprise there :hyst: )

There are some great tyers on this forum and alot of tough decisions with the voting, these flies are just fantastic.

Well I cast my vote. Now lets see who wins!

:wallbash: Man, one tough vote, but had to go with the one that appeared the most fishable.

Making the choice tho' is kind of like looking at a table with 18 sealed envelopes on it with money in them. 1 has $10.000 and the rest have $1. now, make your choice!

Outstanding job by all tiers and good luck to all.

flyfishingphil

Flyfishing is not as much as sport as it is a way of life.

Congratulations to all of those who have flies in this contest. IMO, they're all winners! Which makes picking just one of them all the harder.

I agree it was a hard decision. I hope that while some of us may have voted for the most fishable fly, others would vote based on realism or on design (salmon flies) and even the field out. They were all outstanding patterns and anyone who took the time and care to enter in the first place should be congratulated. Well done all......Kerry :)

The fly I voted for was one I also voted for in the first round. It was also a fly that was in the same category as one of mine. This fly immediatly caught my eye the first time I saw it. It is a great looking fly and DEFINATLY one I would fish. I think looks and fishability are minor. Some people will look at a fly and think well I would never fish that while others would say I would like to fish that! Fly tying is a functional art. Any fly I see whether it is intended to be fished or looked at is seen before it is in the water. The looks are the first thing you notice. And the choices of whether or not to fish it come after. I respect each and every fly that was entered this year. Each person sat down with the intent of tying a great looking fly and for that I respect each and every one and there all winners in my opinion! Thanks again to Will for all his time and effort and thanks to everyone for taking the time to create some beautiful flies. GOOD JOB everyone. Kevin

:bugeyes: Just like everyone else said that was one hard vote. I found myself looking for absolute perfection in the end and I THINK I found it in the fly I chose. :dunno:

I was looking for one that appealed to ME. Just the tying skills used and wow there are some super skills used in these flys. Whoever wins this can hold their head up really high in this flytying world of ours. Remember however that we would not be able to be as picky as we have been without the superb photos supplied by Will.

Excellent work all round guys and congrats to all of you who "tied one on"

Keith :headbang:

Hello to all,

Just popped in to vote! although I will get back in the action on the site soon.

Man, choosing just one! that was an almost impossible decision, Awesome work, Finalists!! I Wrestled over the choices and picked the one that I thought was best. Congrats to all entrants and the finalists. Superb work.

Will get back on the forum as soon as I can, Bugcam

Will,

You are very Kind to put all effort out that you do for everyone here!!!!

Hope your feeling Well these days

And Thank you for letting me be part of the voting !!!!

And for ALL you Tyers:

You guys done a Very Fine job on your Tying skills !!!!!

Your all Very Talented