Fly Tying
Alex C.

Hummingbird-WIP

Well I've had this one sitting on a shelf on my desk for about a month and a half now and am getting remotivated to finish it. Thought I'd share a couple pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

The hook is a mustad bass bug/ stinger hook, 1/0. The underbody is vernille and thread, built up to shape. You can see that there is no limit to what you can do with this tecnique. The beak is a piece of balsa wood from one of my son's model airplane kits. I just colored it. The piece of mono tied into the head will be burned to form the eyes once the feathers are all tied in. The feathers are from a $5 cape I had lying around.

I'm at the point where I am set to tie in the wings, but I might go backwards and redo the feathers I've done so far since they've gotten kind of grungy from the abuse of the rest of the stuff in that pile :lol:

Comments, suggestions?

:blink: Dude thats flippin unreal, I was just thinking of doing a hummingbird, and givin it to my grandmother, its her favorite bird, and I figured Id be the first to give it a try. Looks like its comin along fairly well :headbang:

Dustin

Thanks guys,

I untied all of the hackle feathers I had on so far. They were just too rough and I couldn't get some to resit how I had them. Gonna restart this week. The only part I'm worried about is the very last row of feathers when I tie them on in front of it's beak. I need to figure out a way to hide the bases of each feather.

Something else I decided to do is tie in 3 sets of wings. They'll each be in different phases of the wing cycle. Hopefulyl it will kind of look like they're moving and not a weird bird with 6 wings :lol:

Hey Alex, I know what you mean about hiding the tye in of the last layer of feathers. Thats why I did my sea horse nose the way I did. Maybe for the humming bird, tye feathers to where the beak starts, then tye a long thin hollow feather stem for the beak, with the wide end covering your last feather wraps, then a few wraps over the top of the beak to secure it?

I have been talking with Alex, since I have been doing a hummingbird as well, and we are having a little friendly competitation, his will probbly turn out better, but here is what I have so far, and its been a true challenge and a lot of fun to tie. I chose a male ruby throated hummingbird, because its what we have around here, and its my grandmothers favorite. I still have some work to do on the tail, belly, and add eyes, and some coloring.

here is the underbodypost-4351-1171322521_thumb.jpg

post-4351-1171322557_thumb.jpg

post-4351-1171322577_thumb.jpg

post-4351-1171322597_thumb.jpg

Oh its not done yet Alex!! but I just basically bent the hook to shape, and started wrapping the under body with yarn, used a porkypine quill for the beak, and the head is a pompon, and from the head I started at the beak with peacock and tied em off at the neck. Fron there I ran them all down the back and tied em off at the tail, tied in the wings, and the belly is small withe hackel feathers, with marabou over them. Now Im stuck at the tail and eyes.

Dustin