Fly Tying
Twofingerz

trim more?

trying something new and its a bit of a work in progress.

to me the body on this looks a little too fat. i have trimmed it down some but am wondering if i should go further. opinions please on whether or not i should trim this body down more and give it a slimmer profile.

post-9630-1176005495_thumb.jpg

The only thing I might look at in the first pattern is the hook gap. How dense is the body; Will it give enough to make the gap wider when the fish bites it? Other than that minor point it is a really nice pattern. :)

a number short sections of mylar tubing of various colors.

i tie them in the middle of the section and then fray out both the front and back portions.

how to:

slide the tubing over the hook, tie it in the middle of the section, wrap the thread forward, pull front strands back and wrap just in front of them so they bend back. then just work my way forward with a new section until the i reach the head. then trim for profile. closely resembles techniques used when spinning deer hair, just dont spin it.

that fly has about 8 seperate pieces of mylar tubing tied on

p.s. i did wind up trimming that one down more

that fly looks amazing!!!!! i would have never thought of that method!!! where did you come up with it??? :yahoo:

neccesity is the mother of invention

i wanted to get close to another pattern but didnt have what it needed. and in the processi just came up with this method by mistake.

I think you've over-dressed these flies, which is a common practice with new tyers. Try re-tying these with 1/2 the materials, they will look better and fish better too!

thats great that you came up with it yourself.....BY MISTAKE!!!!!!!!! :headbang: very nice method.

think of it like this. if the fish will bite it, then it will be fine. fish it and see how well you do. Then when your at the vise either trim em down, or bulk em up. experiment and have fun with it. thats the fun of tying flies man.

I think you've over-dressed these flies, which is a common practice with new tyers. Try re-tying these with 1/2 the materials, they will look better and fish better too!

Thank you. Of the major pitfalls to someone new to this craft i think i have finally gotten past crowding the eye of the hook and too many thread wraps, however i do still have to work on the amount of material i use. i am going to tie one up in a few following your suggestion. gotta do my taxes first.

been kind of in a pickle. i have been tying for 3 and a half months but have yet to actually get any of my flies wet. that all comes to an end this weekend though since i am opening the cottage friday. Will probably spend every free moment on the end of the dock casting my flies to see how they swim. doubt i'll catch anything cuz the water is still way cold, but at least i'll be able to see where i stand.

Troutbum you need to come up further north than N.C. so i can get some "over the shoulder" time. :D

post-9630-1176360364_thumb.jpg