Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tailwalker

using epoxy

Very simply, the point is that ANY SUBSTANCE in large enough dose is toxic. And Webster's is a good dictionary, but definitely not a toxicology text. Reading MSDS's has become almost an art form if you are trying to compare toxicities. I'm not a toxicologist, but deal with toxic chemicals everyday at work. Safe handling is the key...usually solvent resistant gloves, eye protection and adequate ventilation are the necessary components of safe handling.

Comparing toxicities above it turns out aspirin was the most toxic compound listed. I take 1200 mg aspirin per day (I'm 112 kg). Not a problem. I refuse to consume any acetone, MEK or epoxy. no reason to consume such things, and I'd rather avoid being overly exposed to them Doesn't mean that I don't use them in appropriate situations. As I get older the ethanol consumption has decreased in amount and frequency as well. If you really want to get the lowdown on toxicology, talk to Henk Verhaar, on the VFB e-mail liszt, who is a toxicologist.

Mark Delaney

I have to admit that I'm not a chemist or toxicologist but I still can't connect the definition of toxic with drowning from drinking too much pure water.

Do you agree with Webster's definition ?

I am pretty sure it was within the last year, a college student died in a hazing incident in which he/she was forced to drink massive quantities of water. the case was prosecuted.

As a general definition Webster's definition is OK for the general populace...but if you used that definition on a toxicology test, I guarantee that it'll be marked with a big red "F"(probably about 10" tall). You are missing the point entirely...and that is that ANY compound admininstered in high enough dose is toxic!!! Inclujding water (by the way, it cracks me up when people sell youstuff containing "no chemicals" ...means they arfe selling you a perfect vacuum. Perfectly pure water contains a chemical: WATER).

NaCl, table salt oral: LD50 rat 3000mg ( 3 g) per kg

glucose oral LD50 rat: 25,800 mg (25.8 g) per kg

sucrose, table sugar: oral LD50 rat 29,700 mg (29.7 g) per kg

water: oral LD50 rat greater than or equal to 90 g per kg

water: intravenous LD50 mouse 25 g per kg (couldn't find rat)

Large doses to be sure...but they still killed 50% of the rats....

and none these results discuss the mechanism of toxicity. In the case of water too much ingestion essentially saturates all the body and the only place left to go is thge lungs, hence drowning on dry land. But that's the mechanism of how water is toxic...other materials have different mechanisms...too much salt screws up the electrolyte balance, which definitely can be fatal. Some compounds are less toxic than others in the view of the toxicolgist...and that's as far as they'll go: Hence their favorite saying: "Every thing's toxic, it's all a matter of dose."

Mark Delaney