Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryan

Any tiers in my area?

I have been wondering if there are any fly tiers on here from the central eastern area of NC that would like to all meet up and have a little fly tying/ fishing party?

Bryan,

The best advice that I can give you is to get active in one of the Federation of Fly Fishers clubs in your area: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/clubs/2f8x-f6...ate_Province=Nc

There are three clubs currently entered on the FFF main website - Carolina Fly Fishing Club, Huntersville NC; French Broad Fly Fishers, Pisgah Forest NC; and the Nat Greene Fly Fishers, Greensboro NC :

If there isn't an FFF Club in your immediate area, then start one. A few friends and I did just that over twenty years ago, The North Louisiana Fly Fishers. While I moved from that area 17 years ago, that club is still active, and I have a number of friends who are members.

You can reach Dave Duffy, who is the Presidient of the FFF's South Eastern Council, at: [email protected] and you can the reach the SE C's website at: http://www.fffsec.org/

I would also strongly advise you to go to the 17th Annual Southeastern Council Conclave & Fly Fishing Show, June 7 - 9 in Callaway Gardens - Pine Mountain, Georgia. You'll have a great time and meet with numberous marvelous tyers.

If possible, come on down to the first Gulf Coast Council of the FFF Conclave and Expo, May 18 through May 20, 2007 at the Lake Charles Civic Center in Lake Charles, LA. Registration materials, list of workshops, and a schedule are available at http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/index.php?page=expo . There are discounts available for registration prior to May 5th. Basic registration is $8 prior to May 5th and $10 after, for all three days. Wrokshops vary in price. The headliners for this show are Lefty Kreh and Nick Curcione.

Additionally the Spring 2007 issue of the GCC newsletter, Sea to Stream, is available at

http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/index.php?page=communications

If you show up at the GCC Conclave, look me up. I'll be tying, and I'll tie ya' several flies...

Tight lines,

Kyle Moppert

a.k.a. Bowfin47

Thanks bowfin. I've looked in to the clubs in my area, but they at least 3 hours from me. I guess I'll just have to start one and see if I can't get some people around here brainwashed uh... I mean interested in to fly fishing and fly tying, lol.

Bryan,

I bet you'll be surprised how many people come to an organizational meeting for a new FFFclub. In 1984, when we started our FFF club in northwest Louisiana (not the what most poeple called "fly fishing terriory"), we had 17 people show up for the organizational meeting.

All we did to get started was contact the FFF main office in MT and put up about 12 fliers in various shops... No newspaper, no internet...

That was the first FFF club in LA. Unbeknown to us, another club was forming at about the same time in New Orleans. Now, there are seven FFFc clubs in Louisiana and I've tyed flies, traveled around with, and fished with members of all of them!

So, contact Dave Duffy and see about starting your own club.

Tight lines,

Kyle

Bryan - I'm not from your area but I will gladly visit the next time we are getting 3 feet of snow over night... :D See you next winter... :j_k:

post-4573-1178059137_thumb.jpg

What is this snow that you speak of? That might have been those two small white things that fell from the sky that one day when I was a kid. lol.

Bryan - I'm not from your area but I will gladly visit the next time we are getting 3 feet of snow over night... :D See you next winter... :j_k:

Man that SUCKS !