Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cvansickler

Redfish --- Gulf Shores Alabama

I am heading to Gulf Shores, AL for 7 days in July for a family reunion. The water is apparently much better (clear) compared to the water where we normally fish (Galveston flats). We will be mainly working for speckled trout and redfish. Does anyone have any suggestions about fly patters that will work in the skinny water there. Thanks for your help. C.

I have fished Golf Shores alot as well as Galveston and while they are completely different as a fishery, the fish are pretty much the same. In Gulf Shores they like a lot of goldish and brownish patterns due to the river being a tea stained color. I always used slow sinking patterns like Sea Ducers and unweighted Decievers. Don't forget a few poppers in a gold. Just make sure you patterns have goldish flash in them. If you have the time, run over to Perdido and fish the state park over there. It fishes a lot like Galveston but it is a lot deeper and it's more a blind casting sort of thing.

All in all the fishing is good but I like Galveston a little better. I used to park by that tackle shop, Fatties was the name I think, and hoof it up the railroad tracks to the mud flats. I would cast light decievers and beadchain eyed clousers at the grass lines and would score big. The fishing was so much fun I used to drive down from Waco after class and fish well into the evening, sleep in the bed of my truck the get up early to make the drive back for class. One big difference is the reds in Al are for the most part bigger. They pretty much just hang out in the river and get big where as the big guys in Galveston eventually go out in Gulf. In Gulf Shores you pretty much want an intermediate line or a mid rate sinker as the river has some depth to it. Man I wish I could go along!

One more thing, if you have time, I'd run over to Pensacola Beach as well. There are some good grass flats out on the backside that has some great fishing. My favorite spot over there was Navarre. There is a boatramp in Navarre that has some access to some great wade fishing. The water is clear, so it's sight fishing for specks mostly but reds will go in there as well as Spanish and Jacks. Man I caught some fish there! Clousers and decievers as well as Seaducers.

Wow I know exactly where you are talking about! Fatboys, and its run by a big mexican guy that is really friendly. Ill have to try the flat someday, it sounds great. I just have to pull myself away from San Luis pass!! Heres some pics of some flys from a local dealer. I gotta know how to tie this one!!! Just as good in clear water as it is in green or even a little murky. Tried it in Mexico and caught fish there too.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Fishkill where did you pick up those flies. I've gotta get my hands on those! Look great!

You may want to take a look at this selection of flies, too. Its Jerry Goldsmiths line-up for the Indian River flats, but the water there is clear the fish are spooky. You'll find a lot of good patterns that are well proven.

Joe C.

I got them at Marburgers in Kemah, Tx. There store bought. The guy there ties his own but none are for sale. I have no idea where he got them but Im shure if I asked he would tell me. (maybe..he might want me to buy them from him!) These sink like a clouser and the flash tail comes alive whith short fast strips. Great in the first gut on the beach.

Those look like this guys piggy fly. http://www.creativefeathers.com/FlyShop.cfm