Fly Tying
bootow

solo canoe or kayak

I think it is significant to consider the origins of both the canoe and the kayak. Both were used for hunting and for fishing by Native Americans for centurys until they were "discovered" by europeans. The kayak was usually a solo hunting and fishing boat while the canoe was more of a work horse used for transporting goods. The materials used to build a kayak were scarce as wood was hard to come by in the Arctic so most kayaks were small solo craft. The materials to build a canoe were easier to come by and resulted in a larger and more versatile craft manned by a greater number of people.

Needless to say both have evolved. I have a SOT Hobie Quest that looks nothing like a it's predecessors but preforms one it's perdecessors main functions, its a fishing machine. I also have two solo sea SIK that can carry 75-80 lbs of camp gear easily. I fly cast and float rivers and streams with the Hobie and I spin cast on big water and camp from my Current Designs Gullfstream.

If you want a solo boat for fishing it is easier to rig a kayak with rudder, anchor system, rod holders, and even electronics. One the other hand I think canoes are more versatile, especially if you need a multi purpose boat that can haul more than one person.