Fly Tying
JayMorr

Grahm question for you...

JayMorr, you got it from Broadway? I've heard a lot of online camera scams...Isn't ShopCartUSA one of them too?

B&H, Amazon all have the Rebel Xti for around 700...

Yeah I picked mine up from a different company but after looking into it I guess it was a sister company to broadway. I got the XTi and didnt get burned however I am lucky considering that after reading all the comments I was really shocked.

They did up sell me on an extra battery which I didnt really need and after checking the price was double that of the normal price based on the model number on another site.

All in all I am happy with my camera. I have been taking a lot of photos with it. They extra 60 bones for the battery and shipping is not an issue. I let it slide more out of excitement to get the new cam.

Jay, glad to hear you're enjoying your new camera and that you didn't take a beating from Broadway Photo. A good place to check the reputations of retailers is www.resellerratings.com. Some of these outfits are so bad that it's a wonder they stay in business. I guess that's why a lot of them operate under several different names. A while back, some guy set out with a bicycle and a camera to track down and photograph all the mail order/online sellers of photo gear in the New York area, and published the results on his website. It was amazing to find that many of these "establishments" consisted of nothing more than a post office box, a private residence, or a decrepit room over a barbershop. All you need to be a retailer these days is a computer and a lack of scruples. Some of these fly-by-night guys also advertise in the big photo mags - Cambridge Camera had its ads pulled a while back by Popular Photography because of all the complaints, but unfortunately, that was a rare occurrence.

B&H has been mentioned here, and is a solid company with a fine reputation, (I do most of my business there) as is Adorama and Beach Camera. Amazon can be good as long as you're buying directly from them. It will say on their product info page where the goods will be shipped from, and if it's some place other than Amazon, you're on your own. (As I've found out the hard way) One red flag to look for is a call to "confirm" your order. What you usually get is a "bait and switch" spiel or an attempt to sell you the stuff (at inflated prices) that was supposed to be included in the camera purchase at no additional charge. Most of the reputable firms will just send you an email with an order number that you can track. Sorry about the long-winded post, but these scam artists really yank my chain - they're nothing but predators, and the internet makes it easier than ever for them to operate.