Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
breambuster

Blue Foam Material

There is a pattern for a blue foam damselfly in Skip Morris' book, "The Art Of Tying The Bass Fly." The material is descibed as, "cylindrical closed-cell soft foam." He says to either by blue foam or to color it with a permanent marking pen. Can anyone tell me where to buy this material. And if it needs to be colored, is a "Sharpie" pen good, or do I need something else?

Thanks

bream, what length and what diameter? I may be able to make the cylinders for you!

john

The instructions in the book are incomplete. It looks like 2 pieces of foam will be needed for each fly. The first piece extends well beyond the bend of the hook and the second is doubled and tied down the shank of the hook. Both pieces must be about twice the length of the hook shank and the pattern recommends a size 12 light wire, 1X long dry fly hook. As far as diameter, it looks pretty small, I'm guessing the 1/8 inch. The picture is slightly enlarged, and the foam in the enlarged picture measures 3/16. Let's start with enough for 2 or 3 flies.

Thanks

is it a damsel pattern, or a dragon maybe? I will look in my copy of that book when I get home, what page is the pattern you are referring too?

john