Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth K

Michigan Salmon - Betsie River

i posted a while back that i was going to go to the betsie river in late august. you guys said i should wait, so i did. well not really, i just had too much work to do and couldn't get away. well i'm finally going this weekend and have heard from some people up there that the salmon are running in a big way.

what do you guys recommend fishing with. i'm not going to have much time to tie anything so i'll stop by the local fly shop up there to pick up some flies and some leader.

also, i have a 9wt TFO that i'm going to take. is that overkill? the guys up there laughed when i said i had a 5wt to bring; they said i better bring my 9wt.

thx for the input on such short notice.... k

Good Day,

Sounds like you have been given some decent advice so far. A 9wt is not overkill. Most people fish between 8 and 10 weight rods at least 9 feet long. A fighting butt helps too. Depending on what route you are taking up north I might suggest stopping in at Schmidt Outfitters in Welston (www.schmidtoutfitters). And if Ray is there tell him Christopher Soule sent you... hehe. (Probably no advantage to it though... hehe) As far as flies are concerned, the guys at Schmidts will steer you in the right direction, and probably try to sell you some of their unique creations too. They might not be cheap for some of the streamers, but they do work! Anyway, I would suggest a variety of streamers for the early run fish right now. And big ones too! Like bunny leaches, even madonas and large sculpin patterns. Even bright colors like chartruese too as well as more subdued natural colors. If the fish a re little shy of the big flies then things like sparrow, black stone flies, caddis nymps, eggs. You also should have a few egg sucking leaches in black and purple. Also, may I suggest not getting locked into one river too, unless you find the pods! If you spend half a day and have not touched a fish, move, heck, even to a different river! I am sure others will have even more info. Tight lines!