Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
3FL2

2007 3FL Flies by us Slam

My buddy and I are doing this competition next weekend, The funny thing It's just between the two of us. Well lets just say that we started to tie our own flies, He was so impressed with his wolly buggers that he claims that he can out fish me on any water with his new design. I on the other hand started tying nymphs and Elk hair caddis flies, So next weekend the Carmens river closes for the season, Which happens to be my favorite river, We are going to fish this river from sunrise to sun set and the one who's flies catch the most fish will win ...drum roll.... Braggin Rights ( And the loser pays for the fishing expenses). Well I was wondering what is the best pattern to tie? I'm looking at a pheasant tail patterns but I was wondering what nymph pattern is fairly simple to tie and will fish well..Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It sort of depends on the size of the river, what is in it (is it rainbows?) how hard it's fished, if the fish are wild or stocked and how badly you want to embarrass your buddy. For catching rainbows I would recommend a sucker spawn if the river is hit hard some egg pattern in #16 or smaller should do the trick.

If you want to look cool try a bead head hairs ear or pheasant tail fished as a dropper below a charnoble ant<sp?) or a foam hopper pattern the size and color of your local hopper be sure to ck teh regs first as it's not always leagle to fish a dropper.

If you really want to make him beg you to give him a fly go with the omelet. On hard hit water you need to get your tippet down to 6 or 7 X.

ps don't wear that white t on trout water.

gl

It sort of depends on the size of the river, what is in it (is it rainbows?) how hard it's fished, if the fish are wild or stocked and how badly you want to embarrass your buddy. For catching rainbows I would recommend a sucker spawn if the river is hit hard some egg pattern in #16 or smaller should do the trick.

If you want to look cool try a bead head hairs ear or pheasant tail fished as a dropper below a charnoble ant<sp?) or a foam hopper pattern the size and color of your local hopper be sure to ck teh regs first as it's not always leagle to fish a dropper.

If you really want to make him beg you to give him a fly go with the omelet. On hard hit water you need to get your tippet down to 6 or 7 X.

ps don't wear that white t on trout water.

gl

Thanks dfield..The river has Rainbows, Brookies, and Browns. The Part of the river that we fish is fly fishing only and is fished but I would say not over fished. Whats a Sucker spawn? The fish are stocked, skiddish fish that I have been told is one of the hardest spots to fish on Long Island. I've fished there before and that river can take a toll on a fly fisherman. Ive done well with olive hair nymphs and hares ear nymphs. I have made some pheasant tails last night that I think should do the trick. I like a challenge especially when it involves fly fishing, and since we just started tying It should be fun to see if what we tied works on fish. Sharp flies catch people and Ugly flies catch fish, If I stick to that I should be find!! I fish with a 5wt orvis clearwater floating line and 5x tippet. I guess I should pick up some 6x or 7x tippet then. Any other suggestions? Thanks again

You can find a sucker spawn in the data base. It sounds like it might be a bit much for your fish, but then it's worth a try. Sounds like you have it covered. Do you ever fish a dropper? if you do you might try a black fly as a lead or adding a soft hackle as a dropper. Sometimes the local fly shop can give you a heads up on what is hot localy it's always fun to hang out in the fly shop LOL.

POP fly?? Never heard of it. I think I might try the dropper fly Elk hair caddis and pheasant tail nymph combo. I was going to my local fly shop for the past 6 months but now the shop is closing :( . So I have no Idea what I'm going to do... But i think a little friendly competition is good for the sport

This event went very well...For me that is. I beat my buddy fare and square 3-1* ( the one he caught on a store bought fly). We only fished 6:39am (Sunrise) to about 11:30am, and this particular river is a very difficult river with beautiful Wild and some stocked Rainbows, browns, and Protected Brookies. Thanks to everyone who helped me on selection of patterns... What worked was peacock wet flies, And a Carmens Delight That I created...But a wise Fly angler told me " Nothing in Fly fishing hasn't been done already". For me it was the first time I caught a Trout on a Fly tied by me.