Fly Tying
Isonychia

CCD Cleaning???

I've noticed lately that my camera's CCD has picked up a few flecks of dust, so I'm currently shopping for an effective cleaning system.

I've read a lot about the Visible Dust system, and am kind of leaning toward that one. I wonder if any of you guys clean your cameras' CCDs, or if you simply follow the manufacturers' recommendations and send them in to be cleaned for exorbitantly large sums of money.

What works for you?

Thanks in advance for your responses...

John

So far, using a rocket blower has worked for me. I remove the lens, hold the camera with the open port facing down, then I give the cavity a good blowing out. Then I set the shutter speed to bulb, press the shutter button, revealing the sensor, and I blast it with the blower, while holding the camera pointing downwards. I have bought a Sensor Klear lens pen for DSLR cameras, but luckily I haven't needed to touch my sensor yet. The first time I cleaned my sensor I used Office Depot canned air, and luckily I didn't ruin my camera, and from what I've read, that was a big mistake. I use the Giottos rocket blower, and keep a full size one at my desk and a smaller one in my camera bag.

For the first year+, I was so leery of damaging the sensor I used nothing but a Rocket Blower. It works ok but leaves alot to be desired. Basically all your doing is blowing air over and around the inside of your body. Sometimes you'll remove most dust, sometimes you end up with more dust on the sensor. Your *moving* dust primarily, not removing. It will work, it just might take awhile.

I eventually got over my fear somewhat and bought an Artic Butterfly. It does a fantastic job removing all but caked on dustm that only a wet solution will get. Ive yet to use a wet solution and pec pad but I think I could if/when I have to.

Im using a 40D now which has a *built in* dust remover. The jury is still out :) but thus far despite many lens changes outdoors theres no visible dust even when using a macro lens. Macro lenses bring out and show the dust like stink.

I'm looking forward to the D300 with built in sensor cleaning. A year ago my macro shots had numerous dust specks, but since then I blow out my camera frequently, including every time I change lenses indoors, and I have no sensor specs at this time.

Like John, I use the Arctic Butterflly from Visible Dust and it's done a great job. There were some complaints about the original version - apparently the brush head would sometimes fly off when spinning. I have a newer version (model 724) which was supposedly built to correct the problem. I got the 724 from B&H for $95 or so. They still sell the older version for $65. I bought a sensor cleaning solution and some swabs as well, but I've never had to use them.

I've read a lot of good things about the Sensor Klear pen for removing stubborn dust the blower wont remove, but, after using the pen it's probably best to throw it way and buy another one. This fall when my D200 becomes my backup camera I'll take the D200 in for professional cleaning. I have a silk bag in my camera bag, and when changing lenses in the field I do it inside the silk bag. I really haven't had much of a dust problem since doing it that way. A fold up light tent can also be used to try an avoid dust intrusion while changing lenses.

The D3 is on the distant horizon, for landscape and wide angle. I'll get the D300 first because the crop factor benefits wildlife and macro shooting which I enjoy so much. (and because it is more afforadable). I'm really kind of bummed I wont have a D300 before my trip next month, and the N80 will be my backup.

Boy, you're not kidding about the affordability factor. You can buy a lot of gear with that extra $3K. I thought about holding out for Canon's new top-of-the-line model, but I'm glad I went for the 5D instead, especially now that I know what it can really do. The D300 looks like it's a killer, especially for a wildlife photographer - I mean, how many bells and whistles do we really need?