Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
3FL2

The Feeling of catching a fish on a fly you Tied...

Today I got the feeling that every Tyer feels when they practice practice practice and spend all those hours tying flies up..Actually seeing them work. I fished a local river and caught two brown trout on a peacock wet fly and one brown on a pattern that I made.

What was your first Fish on a fly U tied Like?

Tight Wraps!!

:cheers:

My first fish was a little 6 inch smallie. It was a rush, I couldnt believe something I tied actually caught a fish. Tommorow I plan to catch a fish on not only a fly that I tied but a fly tied with material I harvested (squirrel tail). That should be a good feeling as well.

Undertow

The first fish I caught on a fly I had tyed were a half-dozen 6" to 10" brookies from a small river in Quebec. The fly was a brown Bivisible and the fish all leapt and splashed like kids in a playpool.

Yea the Rush of the fish leaping makes the feeling so much better!! It didn't mater what the fish was I could have caught a minnow it's the fact that it's my fly!! Great practice leads to great thrill!!

Always a good feeling when you use your own stuff. Thinking back, I've used commercially tied flies on my first 2 or 3 outings and never again. Most commercial flies are just not up to standard - looks very nice, but the flies unravel after a few takes if the cheap hooks they use don't open op first... :o

Currently I'm using only "Knapek" and "Grip" barbless hooks with the odd "Stevenson" brand if I can find it.

I can't remember the first, which is sad but the good news is it hardly matters because the rush never goes away. Wait until you catch a fish on a pattern that you invented.

I can't remember the first, which is sad but the good news is it hardly matters because the rush never goes away. Wait until you catch a fish on a pattern that you invented.

i second that. just too three brookies yesterday on three different flies i tyed. Hares ear nymph, PT nymph and a black wooly bugger. AWESOME! :headbang:

The one brown I caught fell for a pattern that a put in "my fly patterns", which was named after the river I fished, The pattern has hackle that keeps the fly on the film of the water and when it gets wet it eventually sinks. I think that the pattern resembled a bait fish, I noticed some minnows with a tan brown back. And now I have to make the fly in two or three different sizes.