Fly Tying
Dart

Beaver Fur Nymph

There are probably some technical issues to deal with concerning how well I tied it, but I wanted to create something using beaver fur. This is what I came up with. This particular one is tied on a sz 14 hook.

I like how the beaver tends to capture air bubbles and shimmer under water.

Thanks for looking.

Just yesterday I was wondering about beaver fur and all the ways someone could use it. Nice tie and great natural coloration. I think I'll get me some beaver fur!

I think it looks great, and I know it'll catch some fish. I'm going to these alot now. I took a course at the Southern Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers' Conclave (too much of a big name for me!! I'm tired when I'm through printin' it!) in Mountain Home, Arkansas a couple of weeks ago on Czech Nymphing. We caught fish and had a blast.

I had become interested before the trip and studied it here and online, and now, I've got several books and a few CDs on the subject. Its really interesting.

At the meeting, John Wilson, a guide there and developing friend, led the class, showed us some of the tricks and walked us through about 3 hours of White River nymph fishing that helped me a lot. I'm going to be using these little dudes two or three at a time. We were catching one, two or three fish at a time when nymphing three flies.

If you ever go to Mountain Home for trout fishing, John Wilson or Duane Hada are the guides to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

Wonderful nymph pattern, Dartigan. You've done a terrific job dubbing the body. I really like the slender profile. Tye up a dozen for your fly box, because this looks like a fish catcher. ;)

Dartigan et al.,

(Not intending to one-up ya.)

Here's a nymph with a beaver fur thorax. With the dark, back fur of a beaver, I chop up the guard hairs and blend them into the dubbing mix. Spikes things up.

Perhaps Harold will appreciate the hot spot. ;)

Kevin

IPB Image

Kevin,

I like it, but I really like them both, different character. Both would do well on the White of North Fork.

Ray

Kev, that looks nice! The one that I posted was the first one I did. I tied a few more last night using a short hook rather than a XL and made the thorax a bit thicker and they look a lot better. Maybe tomorrow night I'll post some pics of the new ones (I just got home from work and have to be back in 7.5 hours. So I'm gonna go to bed :blink: )

Dartigan,

You have "discovered" a very significant characteristic of natural fur-the fact that many of them trap air and make tiny bubbles. This, in my opinion, can be very important to the success of certain flies. It is a characteristic of many of the flymphs tied by James Leisenring and Vern Hidy. Hidy, especially, touted the importance of the fly capturing air, not only in the fur, but about the hackles as well.

I use nymphs sometime for specific applications, and I think yours is tied well and will definitely take fish as is. I'd like to see it tied with a double wing case because of it's very streamlined profile. I think it'd make a great stone fly nymph pattern.

Mark

I use nymphs sometime for specific applications, and I think yours is tied well and will definitely take fish as is. I'd like to see it tied with a double wing case because of it's very streamlined profile. I think it'd make a great stone fly nymph pattern.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. Could you refer me to a pattern with a double wing case to look at? I'm not quite sure what that would look like.

Thanks,

Jeff

I think Mark means one wing case slightly overlaping another. Many stone fly patterns have multiple wing cases along the back (2 or 3 are common). If you do a search of stonefly patterns, you can probably find an example.

Hopefully Mark will chime in to make sure I understand him correctly.