Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Tyer Guy

Camera Opinion

I've seen several wonderful pictures taken with them, so I would say YES.

In my opinion it won't match the quality of a true SLR, but you won't have the problems that we have either.

Like Dust on the sensor, and usually having the wrong lens on.

And there's a good chance that you won't notice the quality difference until you blow the images up.

Looks like a good camera. Plenty of options and will even let you go fully manual if you want. I like being able to override the camera so for me manual ability is important.

You should have no problem being able to get 8x10 prints from the images the camera can take, and should be able to print some 11x14 from well exposed shots.

Does anyone use this camera to take photos of flies. I have recently realized I need to update my camera and was also looking at this one for fly photos. Seems like a good camera for the price and looks like it has the right macro setting.

Any other suggestions for fly photo cameras.

Chad Trout,

I'll share a little secret with you, but don't tell anyone :unsure:

If you have a scanner you can lay the fly down, cover it with a piece of paper a color that looks good with it, and then scan it :)

I've had one for a couple of months, and am very happy with it. The "super macro" setting allows focusing down to about 3/4" - great for fly photos. I did get a UV filter from a camera shop to protect the lens. I don't have the camera in front of me, but think the filter was an odd size (42, 48mm?). But most camera shops should be able to dig one up.

Chad Trout,

I'll share a little secret with you, but don't tell anyone :unsure:

If you have a scanner you can lay the fly down, cover it with a piece of paper a color that looks good with it, and then scan it :)

When I was doing columns a few years ago, I brought a couple of flies in and asked my editor if she'd shoot them to illustrate a piece I was writing on false albacore. (I didn't have a digital camera) To my surprise, she did exactly what Stu suggested. I didn't stick around to see what the IQ was like, but they looked great in the paper. If I'm not mistaken, John Paul Caponigro sometimes uses the same technique on some of those amazing surreal images that he does.

I've read a few reviews. It seems like this would be a great camera for macro. However the rest seemed a little unimpressive. Night shots, distance shots, red eye, etc... How good is this as an all round camera?

If I was looking at the S700 as an all round camera, personally, I'd pass on it.

I had some rare time to kill while waiting for some prints to be finished and took a look at one. The camera is a good one for an entry level shooter who takes pics in daylight but low light or night photos, I feel would leave a lot to be desired.

There are better cameras out there.

Ernie