Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PbSlinger

Rattlesnake

So I've seen a post here and there regarding the Rattlesnake streamer. I have a tremendous interest in fishing more streamers this season and the Rattlesnake sounds like fun. I have the Galloup book, but the pictures aren't helping too much. I have a few questions for the experts:

1. What size beads are you folks using on what size flies?

2. Metal beads, plastic/glass, or all of the above? With the metal beads, are you just using regular "beadheads" that you might use on nymphs?

3. Is the mono connection lashed on the hook to keep the beads snug against each other, or should they be a bit loose?

4. Is the deer hair collar trimmed off of the bottom of the fly, or does it continue uniformally around the hook?

5. Are they being fished on sink tips, sinkers or floating lines?

Thanks for putting up with all the questions. Thanks for the assistance.

I'd like to see a pic of this fly, or a link if you wouldn't mind. never heard of it.

Some ideas, though:

1&2: I'm not sure it really matters. I mean, the beads are there mainly to help keep the fly from fouling on itself...and evidently for the rattle. This is why I'd like to see the picture. I use glass, because that's what I can find around here. Haven't had any breakage problems. And I use the smallest size I can fit craft wire through with some wiggle room. Wich brings me to...

3: I'm sure mono is fine depending on size, but I like craft wire a little better. I can leave slack between the hooks (Allowing the beads to move), and the wire's stiff enough to keep the back fly from fouling on the front. Also, with wire you can simply loop it through the back fly leaving it free to wiggle and shake all it wants. Also...it'll last longer.

4. I dunno. never seen it. I'm assuming if it's truly suppoesd to be a snake, and therefore a topwater fished fly, you trim the bottom.

5. If it's not to be fished on top, I reccomend a sinking or sink tip line. Spun deer hair heads make for a sloooow sinking (If at all, depending on how much you've wieghted the fly) fly. I tie large streamers with spun deer hair and large dumbel eyes that still won't sink without a sinking line of some sort. A friend of mine recently got me replacing the deer hair with spun wool. Wool soaks up water and sinks MUCH better.

Hope at least a little bit of this helps. Without knowing the fly, I'm shooting blindfolded here. haha.

A little visual on the wire/ bead thing:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Please disregard the sloppy head on the back fly. It won't be seen on the finished product. :unsure:

perhaps worth mentioning/reminding others reading this post. This is a great fly and many traditional examples can be found, yet it doesn't meet many states definition of a fly. Due to the two hooks it can be illegal to posses on some flies only sections of rivers. I guess you could try to argue it just a really short dropper ;)

Jack

The Rattle Snake Muddler was developed by Ray Schmidt Materials list as follows

Stinger Hook: Tiemco 2457 size 10

Body Hook: Tiemco 105 size 6

Connector: 20 lb. Maxima snelled on the 2457' and lashed thru the eye of the 105

Body: 1/8 Dia. Brass/Nickel beads

Wing: Rabbit Zonker Strip (color to match)

3 pieces of flash

Head: Deer body hair(muddler spun)

Thread: 3/0 monocord

I taught this fly in the virtual classroom several months ago and is a favorite of mine B)

post-4571-1199672662_thumb.jpg

perhaps worth mentioning/reminding others reading this post. This is a great fly and many traditional examples can be found, yet it doesn't meet many states definition of a fly. Due to the two hooks it can be illegal to posses on some flies only sections of rivers. I guess you could try to argue it just a really short dropper ;)

Jack

This is a good point. Would cutting the front hook at the bend make it legal?

The Rattle Snake Muddler was developed by Ray Schmidt Materials list as follows

Stinger Hook: Tiemco 2457 size 10

Body Hook: Tiemco 105 size 6

Connector: 20 lb. Maxima snelled on the 2457' and lashed thru the eye of the 105

Body: 1/8 Dia. Brass/Nickel beads

Wing: Rabbit Zonker Strip (color to match)

3 pieces of flash

Head: Deer body hair(muddler spun)

Thread: 3/0 monocord

I taught this fly in the virtual classroom several months ago and is a favorite of mine B)

Hey Bruce. Is there a video available of that class after the fact?

I'm not sure, ellet would be the one to ask. He does most of the class recordings. If I have a chance I'll post a video on Hatches TV, working on a SPECIAL project right now