Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chad Trout

Vise upgrade

I have been using for the past few years a Renzetti Traveler and been toying around with idea of the upgrading my vise. I have read the thread on The Anvil Atlas and I saw that vise at the FlyFishing Retailer in September and thought for the price you can not go wrong. But got a chance to play around on a Dyna King Barracuda and wanted to get some opinions on that vise as well. Is anyone tying on the Barracuda and have anything good, bad or anything to say about it. Pros and cons.

The DynaKing Barracuda by all accounts holds hooks with a deathgrip, but some folks complain about the grooves in the jaws, seems some people like them, and some people don't. I have never tried the Anvil, I have the Renzetti Presentation 4000, never had any problems. Grips good, and very nice to tie with.

Many people who buy the DynaKing have to get the smaller midge jaws as well, might be an extra cost you did not anticipate. Not sure if that's a problem you would see witn the Anvil, it's a non-issue for the Renzetti, any size hook will do (although they say don't go over 4/0, but I have had 8/0 in there for salmon flies and not had an issue). One of the members here seems to have had a bunch of jaw failures on the Renzetti traveler cam, but I have not seen any photos of what's breaking on his vise, so I still don't understand it.

Pick what's right for you, what you feel comfortable tying on.

Ryan

Chad, I tied on a Baracuda for several years. I had some of the problems already mentioned. Depending on the hook style, some hooks just don't fit in the grooves at all. On most hooks, the standard jaws hold like a vault. Overall, I like the Baracuda. I would love it without the hook grooves. It's built like a tank. I have since changed to a Renzetti Master and love it. Everyone's tastes and particular needs are somewhat different. Don't overlook the Baracuda, Jr. It's the same vise in a smaller package. If you like the Baracuda, get it. You're the only one that will know if a certain vise is right for you.

Brian.

Thanks gents,

I am looking at a few different vises. One being the Presentation 2000, The Master, A Regal, and a few others, just looking for some feed back on the Barracuda, I have heard good and bad about it, so I wanted to hear from some of the tyers on the forum about their pros and cons for it.

Tight Threads.

Chad,

I have had a Master for 11 years, holds hooks from 10/0 down to 28's maybe even 32's but i have tried the 10/0's in saltwater ans salmon hooks as well as tiny mustad and tiemco's and the vice holds like a police k-9 on a lawbreaker, i would't even flinch in buying another Master,and im considering it if i can still get the speed crank and profile plate as well as gallows tool for my travel tying bag.

Tight Wraps & Tight Lines

Rick

I use a Renzetti Traveler Cam Series and love it but the shaft turns even if its locked.But it doesn't have grooves in the jaws that you talk about.I also use a Dyna King Kingfisher and thats a beautiful vise but it has grooves in the jaws.I am going to go look at a Regal Pedestal model tomorrow in PA.I tried a Regal years ago at a dealer in South Jersey and he actually let me tie and use any material in the shop that i wanted to.(Best 2 hours of my life).I am looking to sell the Renzetti if anyones interested.My old girlfriend bought one of the Able vises before they stopped making them-another beautiful vise.