Fly Tying

What's up with this Whitlock dub color?

I spend a lot of time over on FTF member Jason's site Troutnut doing my homework. I turn over lots of rocks and I search the internet faithfully. I know what the various Gold and light brown stonefly nymphs look like. They can be literally gold, bright yellow, tan or brown.

So...why is Dave Whitlock Golden Stone nymph dubbing Olive? :dunno:

The particular bug you are tying can be a different shade of color in different areas of the country at different times of the year. But you know all that. Here in the NC mountains in the spring Golden nymphs seem to be a shade of green early in the spring and the color changes to more gold and light brown with darker markings before they emerge later in mid summer. I think contrast is more important than the exact color.

I am suspect of anything that is endorsement marketed. It could be the selling of the product got away from the endorser without his knowledge.

The particular bug you are tying can be a different shade of color in different areas of the country at different times of the year. But you know all that. Here in the NC mountains in the spring Golden nymphs seem to be a shade of green early in the spring and the color changes to more gold and light brown with darker markings before they emerge later in mid summer. I think contrast is more important than the exact color.

I am suspect of anything that is endorsement marketed. It could be the selling of the product got away from the endorser without his knowledge.

Good points Grunt. Maybe using the greener nymphs in the early season and the tan/gold later in the year could work to my advantage!

You're right about endorsed products sometimes not being what was intended by the endorser. I'd forgotten about that. Maybe I'll email the man himself!

luvinbluegills: i've always thought the stoneflies have a olive cast to them, too. my questions is, what sizes to tie them?

also, do cahills have that same olive-ish cast to them on the underside of the body?