Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dnthmn

Cross Border Swaps (U.S./Canadian)

Well now that I have been active in the swaps on this forum for a little while, I thought I would post this topic as a way to help make swaps between the residents of the U.S. & Canada go a little smoother. Hopefully it will save those of you who participate in them a little money.

Please note that the dollar amounts I will be using as an example are those based on shipping from my area to anywhere in the continental U.S. through Canada Post. I will do my best to give the closest approximations of measures in both Metric & Standard units that need to be considered to help save money on postage across the border.

Canada Post categorizes it's services by both weight and dimensions. A light packet is categorized as a package that has maximum dimensions of 380mm X 270mm X 20mm. The rough equivalent is approximately 15" X 10 1/2" X 3/4". The package thickness is the key. It must be 20mm (3/4") or less (including envelopes, etc) to stay in this category and cost $1.96Can versus the $5.05Can for Small Packet Surface postage. Unfortunately the altoids tins that many of us use to ship our flies in is just a hair too thick and is categorized for the more expensive postage. Finding a container that is about 9/16" - 5/8" or 15mm - 18mm that will work to ship your flies in, the package will remain in the light packet category and be subject to nearly 60% less postage. While weight is also a factor it does not come into effect until the package weighs more than 100g or a little under 1/4 lb which would be fairly uncommon. That being said the light packet service is still cheaper but only by 20% at this point.

Some alternative containers I can suggest are pill boxes or the metal tins from math sets(the ones with the compass, protractor and set squares). I have found some at a local dollar store that are the perfect thickness to keep the postage cost down.

I hope this epistle I just wrote helps some of you in the future save a couple bucks and in the end results in more cross border swapping. If anyone has any questions or just wants to tell me I like to over-explain things feel free to fire away :hyst: :hyst:

Happy Swapping :D

Dan

There on their way. Also from our side you do have to fill out a from 2976 to keep anyone sending things over the border from getting hit with a duty.

One final thing, old Celestial Seasonings Tea cans are perfect. They are about 1/8th inch shallower than the Altoids.

Thanks again

Frank

To be honest Frank, I am not sure. It might not be a bad idea, but as long as the contents are labelled fishing flies or hand made crafts with a value of less than $5.00 I doubt it would even hit customs radar on either side of the border. From a realistic standpoint personally I am not too concerned about a customs officer wanting to charge duty on a couple of dozen flies. I have a hunch that they might do it on a few hundred in a larger package but not on the packages that we normally send back and forth.

Thanks for the heads up on the tea tin.

Regards,

Dan