Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frogfish

Total Lunar Eclipse

Haze does play a part. In the summer, images through the scope are a lot less clear than those in the winter. The warmer the air, the softer the image.

Thanks for the tips Wulff. I will have to try again tonight with a faster SS. I think you have another point with our locations. I live in the valley and we have some very nasty air in CA. I should try to get to the mountains and take a few pictures. I know it's a lot cleaner air up there, so may be with the trip. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Ashby

Hi folks,

I have been reading this thread with regard to the moon shots. Using Wulffs data and also Ashby's I had a play with my new toy tonight. Its a Canon 350 and the lens was a 90-300EF. No doubt there are huge ammounts you can have a laugh at but I would like to hear your thoughts on what where etc etc I need to do next. Sell the camera is not an option :D

post-9756-1203285193_thumb.jpg

Well, first off..... I definately need a bigger lens :D Here are a few shots and their settings. I had a brainfart and was messing with the SS instead of the ISO so they are all at ISO 400 except for the last one at 800. 100% crops.

Focal Length: 200mm

Exposure Mode: Manual

Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern

1/400 sec - F/8

Exposure Comp.: 0 EV

Sensitivity: ISO 400

IPB Image

1/500 sec - F/8

IPB Image

1/640 sec - F/8

IPB Image

1/800 sec - F/8

IPB Image

1/800 sec - F/8

Sensitivity: ISO 800

IPB Image

Well the eclipse is onight (3am UK time) and NO I wont be around for that no matter how good it will be. Just taken these two though. There is a haze ring around the moon and I can get the haze but no moon detail. Any ideas???

IPB Image

IPB Image

The first shot is overexposed an why there is no detail. Its like shooting a lit lightbulb. The second shot is better and detail is present, its a bit unerexposed but not too much.

Are they heavy crops and are you on a tripod?

If heavily cropped reduce your crop a bit. The moon may not be as large but youll preserve the detail better and if your handhold try a bit more shutter speed with higher iso to compensate.

Bad luck here too...Clear skies, and a beautiful view, but I misplaced my CD with the AutoStarSuite software. I work solely from laptops, and the one with the CCD camera software crashed a couple months ago. I never got around to installing it in this laptop...

Oh well, I got some nice views through the scope though. Hopefully some of you guys are getting shots. Maybe it will turn turquoise for us!

We had nice clear skies here.

I started with a couple "moonscapes" about 30 minutes before the eclipse began. Then tried to take a couple pis every 15 minutes or so as it advanced and just finished a couple minutes ago.

My fingers are so numb (its about -15 to -20 here ) Im having trouble typing this.

Am installing CS3 tomorrow so I should have them done in a few days to share.

I look forward to seeing everyones photos of the eclipse. There should be some pretty cool pics from this event. I have taken a few of my own and hope to get them on soon.

Ashby

great shots mokai....dont think my little digital photos will be that great...hear in NY we had great clear skies and temps in the low teens for veiwing pleasure so needless to say i was the only one in my family standing outside watching( bbbbrrrrrrrrrr) was it cold should have put socks on but had just got up to get ready for work....but all in all it was one of mother natures brilliant spectacles....

Nice Andrew.

The 3rd turned out really well.

havent even had a chance to DL mine yet but I know up here at my latitude the moon was never fully covered. A peice of the moon was always visible and it made exposing it a nightmare. Expose for the peice that was visible and the covered area was underexposed. Expose for the covered area and the bit left uncovered was blown.

Nice job Andrew - we had a great view in Southern New England. They'd been forecasting clouds all week, but they never materialized. I tried a few shots with bare trees and wispy clouds surrounding the moon, but I couldn't get anything worthwhile. I finally gave up and just enjoyed the spectacle.