Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kargen

random photos

A cousins house was broken into and one thing grabbed was her computer. As it turns out she hasn't been keeping back-ups of her photos. She lost several years worth of family photos, but might get most back as she shared them with the rest of us through E-mail. Anyway that event caused me to think it has been a while since I sorted my photos and put them on disk. So I have another project for this weekend as if I needed more stuff to do. As I was sorting my photos I decided as a diversion I would share a few.

IPB Image

the worlds most stupid dog. What you don't see in that photo is just four feet to the left is two empty dog houses. The dog in question is half black lab and afraid of water. He has no idea that a car could be dangerous and will sit and watch while a rabbit eats his food. He does chase birds on occassion though and has even grabbed a couple out of midair. That and fetch is his only skills.

IPB Image

IPB Image

A business card I did the photography and design for. Was mostly done in photoshop. I liked the one where the small photo had the yellow background best, but the client went with the other one.

IPB Image

Part of a doll collection I photographed. My first magazine sell was to Doll COllectors. Since then I have shot a lot of dolls. THis one was with window light and a reflector opposite the window.

IPB Image

got suckered into shooting a wedding. I told them I didn't have the equipment to do formal groups, but I guess that fact somehow escaped them. I ended up doing all kinds of formals including one shot with over thirty people in it. Isn't great, but considering all I had was an on camera flash with a diffuser it wasn't bad. Adding to my misery they waited until late when the kids were all tired to decide they wanted the above photo. this one took a while what with tired kids, and parents that kept distracting them thinking they were helping.

IPB Image

There is a fairly famous photo of a minor league baseball game that was taken during the National Anthem. It was right at sunset and the light was really just right. I had that photo in mind when I took this one but I missed. None of my photos have the flag where you can really see it, and the light didn't come on like in the baseball photo. Still I kind of like this one.

IPB Image

same team (blue) different game. This photo I cropped to get rid of some players on the left.

IPB Image

a studio shot. I used two wood frames in the shot and just put a bunch of stuff out front and inbetween. The closest frame was later used to frame a print I made. This was shot with a 4x5 and unfortunatly there was some loss in the scan.

IPB Image

another studio shot. My mom wanted a photo of an old barn with cool scenery around it for Christmas one year. Stuck in Dallas I couldn't find a good old barn so I shot this for her instead. Again was done on 4x5 and for some reason the scan didn't turn out very well.

IPB Image

I've photographed this quite a few times. There are three others around an abandoned building and I photograph them and the building a lot. THere is also a church across the road I like to photograph. I always thought people knew the stones were there but I showed the photos to a relative and she was surprised. This gravestone belonged I think she said to her great granddad (might have been great great) and she said they had no idea it was there.

IPB Image

the church across the road.

IPB Image

While looking for that earlier mentioned Christmas present for mom I found these ponies just North of Dallas so I took a few shots.

IPB Image

This was taken at Coors Field. That is the center fielder and you can't tell it in the photo but he is deep in center field. The photo also doesn't let you know that he threw a strike to home plate to get a double play. He caught the fly, the runner on third tagged then went and was gunned down no problem. very nice throw. Photo is nowhere near as good as the play it fails to represent.

That be the random photos.

Comment and critique as you see fit.

Great pics! Your story to go along with the dog pic had me laughing. I had a half black lab at one time that was the exact same way. She had a big roomy doghouse, but wouldn't step foot into it no matter what the weather was doing.

Nice pictures Kargen - I'm glad you included some of your commercial work. It's great to see somebody actually making a profit at this. Quality stuff all around. There must be something about Labrador retrievers - I had a female that was a great gun dog, but when I'd fill her house up with hay and nail a heavy blanket over the door, she'd rip off the blanket, get rid of the hay, and dig herself a hole under the house, and that's where she'd sleep. We kept it up for a couple of winters until I finally gave up and let her have her way. The SPCA would have had me in court if they'd seen her sleeping under there, but the dog insisted. I thought she was just plain nuts, but apparently the breed just loves to suffer. Go figure.