Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

Clear Lacquer?

Hello, I'm just a little worried that I might be doing things a little wrong. I ran out of head cement a while back and had read somewhere that clear lacquer is suitable, so I've been using it ever since. I havent shot a car with lacquer in quite a while and I had a whole gallon of clear sitting around, so I thought, why let it go to waste. If it thickens up any, I just add thinner and its back to a usable viscosity. I hope someone straightens me out on this if I have been goofing up. If I'm not goofing up, then I have a lifetime supply :D

Thanks and Take Care,

I've never thought of it before but if it works... why not?

Head cement needs to form the head of the fly, sink into the materials when added, dry reasonably quickly and not dissolve in water. If it does all of those then can't see there would be a problem.

down2earthly, all the urethanes that I use does neen a catalyst, but I'm and "old school" painter and still miss the days of lacquer. Shoot however many coats of whatever color lacquer, color sand with 600 to 1000 grit, then top with umteen coats of clear lacquer, sand again to take care of any imperfections/trash and to level the clear, then buff your brains out, The gallon of clear that I have is original metalflake brand, left over from the 80's. Base coat/clear coat only wishes that it had the depth and luster of a real lacquer paint job, its just too time consuming and gets so hard that it tends to crack/crowfoot after a while. I don't guess this really pertains to fly tying, but I am bad about streying from the point :D

Take Care,

I have HVLP system and shoot gloss or mat clear on some of my decorative vessels. But I like water based stuff on my tieing bench.I do have Sally Hanson Hard As Nails in clear,black, brown, and red are sitting next to my drying wheel. I like the SH for the ease of use.

I guess it would work fine. Traditional lacquer and nail polishes like Sally Hansens (which many tiers use) are related products - both are nitrocellulose based.

Grunt, I have some Sally Hanson clear that I use on my bigger flies, but the lacquer seems to soak into the threads real well on the smaller flies and I think it bonds good. If you wait a couple days and then cull a fly, its a pain to cut it off the hook because it gets so hard. I love hand made wooden pieces and respect anyone that has the talent to do them. If I may ask, what county in western NC are you in because I would like to check them out some time. I go to Sparta and West Jefferson sometimes.

Take Care,

If the words of A.K. Best are to be believed (and why not ? ) lacquer and head cement

are one in the same - he buys it a quart at a time and refills his dispenser.

If memory serves, I believe he said he thins with mineral spirits.

Grunt, I have some Sally Hanson clear that I use on my bigger flies, but the lacquer seems to soak into the threads real well on the smaller flies and I think it bonds good. If you wait a couple days and then cull a fly, its a pain to cut it off the hook because it gets so hard. I love hand made wooden pieces and respect anyone that has the talent to do them. If I may ask, what county in western NC are you in because I would like to check them out some time. I go to Sparta and West Jefferson sometimes.

Tony, I'm in Avery on the west side of Boone at the base of Grandfather mountain. Good fishing around here.

Grunt

Take Care,