Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
snboggs

A couple flies & a question...

I was watching a video today of someone tying a Light Spruce Streamer. I decided to make several small variations and here's what I came up with. I call it the Peacock Red. The fly has a peacock herl or sword tail, a red floss body (the top one is ribbed with oval silver tinsel or silver wire), herl thorax and two married fiery brown hackles as a wing. If I wasn't in college and could afford it, I think a jungle cock nail on each side would look good as well. Although I think it's beautiful the way it is.

My question is, how does one declare ownership of a pattern? Does the pattern have to be copyrighted or patented? Can I make such a small variation as in my case and call it my own original pattern How does this work? Anyway, even if you don't know what do you think of the flies? Thanks guys!

snboggs

post-14152-1206063230_thumb.jpg

post-14152-1206063351_thumb.jpg

snboggs, I too pondered on this same question for a while and then realized that out of the thousands, if not millions, of tyers over the thousand plus years of fly tying, there proubly isn't very many combinations of materials that hasn't been tried before. Some of the newer materials is still a wide open window, but getting the credit for an original pattern is proubly quite difficult. A lot of the great flies of the past were created by necessity, became local favorites, then became legends. I would love to have my name attached to an awsome fly, not for any royalties, but to pass on my love of the sport to the next generation. And, by the way, they are real good looking streamers.

Take Care,

I call it the Peacock Red. The fly has a peacock herl or sword tail, a red floss body (the top one is ribbed with oval silver tinsel or silver wire), herl thorax and two married fiery brown hackles as a wing.

after a little research, you basically tied the "Dark Spruce". You simply added a rib. it also appears you left out the hackle collar. adding one element and omitting another is not a new fly (imho).

dark spruce streamer page 471 of "forgotten flies"

IPB Image

you say your in college and cant afford jungle cock. a patent attorney is gonna cost you a whole lot more than jungle cock will ever cost you. ouch!! :blink:

Let me start by saying that as far as I am aware, patents don't apply to fly patterns.

But if they did ....

In the game of patents, there is a term 'prior art'.

'Prior art' means information made available to the public prior to a particular date in connection

with any patent application and/or claims of originality.

If the 'Peacock Red' were to be the subject of a patent application, then the Patent Office would

find the 'Light Spruce' while performing their prior art search, at which point it would be discovered

that the 'Peacock Red' is pretty much a 'Light Spruce' with a rib and other small variations - Game over.

If a piece of intellectual property isn't 'prior art', then it is classed as a 'trade secret' - most likely

some of the best patterns through the ages started life as 'trade secrets' - their inventors kept

them to themselves for a period of time - if you have patterns you don't want 'ripped off', then

keep them secret !!

I'm not trying to patent my pattern or anything like that. I was just curious what the procedures were to get your name attached to a pattern. That's all. But thanks for all the insightful information!

I'm not trying to patent my pattern or anything like that. I was just curious what the procedures were to get your name attached to a pattern. That's all. But thanks for all the insightful information!

You can't patent a pattern, as I pointed out - I was proceeding on the supposition that you could in order

to show that a minor tweak to a famous pattern won't get you very far anyways.

To get 'famous' with a pattern, it has to be a proven fish catcher. Guides/fly shops that develop

really good flies have the best opportunity to make this happen in my opinion. Word gets out

to a number of people, they use the pattern and catch fish with it. The next step is publishing

an article about the fly in a magazine or book, should they decide to pursue things further.

No mean feat - most patterns that make the grade are far from 'hot off the press' - often they

have been developed over the course of many seasons.

Let me start by saying that as far as I am aware, patents don't apply to fly patterns.

heres one from jim teeny for what is essentially is the "teeny nymph" but it may be for the tying method

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3821862.html

another

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4559736.html

heres one from jim teeny for what is essentially is the "teeny nymph" but it may be for the tying method

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3821862.html

another

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4559736.html

These are 'tying method' patents as you were guessing and for my money not really worth the

paper they are written on. Why ? because a patent is worthless if it cannot be enforced.

Sure, if Umpqua or Orvis started selling flies tied using Teeny's methods then it MAY be worth

his while trying to muscle in on the action, if he really has a claim (and enough cash to get the

lawyers kick started). This is where it gets interesting - more often than not the investment

in legal fees to chase a patent infringement far outweighs the potential payback - one time

licensing sum or royalties going forward.

What is interesting is that if you read the first patent description above it reads like the steps for

tying a Pheasant Tail Nymph - tie in PT, wrap to form the body and if you want legs, bring the

butts down and under instead of clipping them off -

WAIT A MINUTE - Jim Teeny invented the method for tying a Pheasant Tail Nymph with legs ?

- what, because nobody else bothered to apply for a patent ?

I'm willing to BET there is a ton of 'prior art' on this one !!