Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Lake Erie Shiner (Tube Fly)

The little red thing at the front of the fly is a bobber stop. If you tye really small flies, or as in this case, the hook fits loosely in the junction tubing, you can use a small slip bobber stop to hold the tube fly in place. I use this method when tying very small tube flies, or patterns where I didn't want to use junction tubing. I figured I'd post it here in case it would be helpful to someone.

post-4573-1206132254_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1206132276_thumb.jpg

I also wanted to post a picture of the tool I use to hold the fly in shape while applying the epoxy. It is actually a bullet head tool that I modified for this purpose. I simply used a hole punch to enlarge an oval hole in the rubber gasket to form an oval minnow-like cross section.

post-4573-1206132460_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1206132479_thumb.jpg

do you use soft-ex

and if so, how, and how long do you turn it.

Would it work with ep?

Luke - I use two thin coats of Devcon 5 minute epoxy on the fly. You have to work pretty quick with this stuff, but it cuts down on the time that I have to rotate the fly while it sets up. Generally, I just rotate it long enough to keep it from sagging (~ 2 to 3 minutes after applying the epoxy to the fly). I then set the fly aside and let it cure for at least a half hour before giving it a second thin coat of epoxy to give it a high gloss finish. The first coat works to set the shape of the fly and displace the air from the body material.

I haven't used EP fibers for this fly, but I imagine they would work just fine. They would certainly have lots of movement. Give it a try and let me know how you make out. Better yet, post your fly so we can see how an EP fiber version looks.