Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

George Harvey

Sad to hear of George Harvey's passing last month. A true gentleman in every sense of the word.See the post in Talkflyfishing forum and go to the guest book. Many outstanding tributes to this legend in our sport.

He was a giant.............no doubt. Perdecessor to Joe Humphries at Penn State. Both have carried on a tradition that "SHOULD" be in every university in the country............sadly history is loaded with the same ole' mistakes made over and over and over and over and over and over............................................

i was fortunate enough to get to meet Mr. Harvey 3/4 times at shows in New Jersey.........namely the Somerset shows in Nov. and Jan. And in The Medowlands before the Nov. show was in Somerset. Got to watch him tye bout the same number of times. We have a Yellow Adams that he tyed for and gave my wife. Goegeous little fly. He did his wings on classic wets with a single feather slip. Not on dries like that Adams, but on wets. Fishisn' flies. Very frugle man. All you ever had to do to take a lesson with him was to show up at his house in Pennsylvainia and take one. If he was there he'd invite you in and give you the lesson. Sadly, i never had the opprotunity..........or more acurattely put, i never took the opprotunity. If you snooze, you looze. Turer words were never put together. But i have spoken to a few others over the years that did just that and they all attested to what an incredable experience it was. We did manage to get his book and have him sign it. We've lost a giant.............may he fish in heaven for eternity. mark..... ;)

I met George at the Spruce Creek rod and gun club and had the privlege to talk and fish with him on several occaisions he was truly a gracious man and would teach anyone who would ask hlm