Fly Tying
montanaflyman79

Extended body mayflies

Howdy, Im new to this site as well as to tying extended body mayflies, could someone tell me what patterns of mayflies can you use with the extended body.

I generally only use an extended-body on flies for the larger mayflies like the coffin fly (Ephemera guttulata), Giant Michigan Mayfly (Hexagenia limbata), Gray Drake (Siphlonurus spp), Green Drake (Drunella grandis), and Isonychia bicolor. The combined effects of an extended abdomen of elk hair plus a reduced hook size increase the buoyancy of this otherwise heavy fly. I also like to use dyed porcupine quill for this purpose:

post-12311-1208658815_thumb.jpg

I appreciate that. I normally do the normal mayflies but a buddy should me the extended body and so I figured what the hell I would give it a try.

thanks

A nother one is the Green Drake!! Sorry I Dont have a photo :D

:headbang: :yahoo:

tyrite

This is a style I like to use. I usually make my own extended bodies on a needle in the vise but I was given some of these already made bodies. I don't like them as much. Anyway, this is an easy style to tie and places a nice surface pattern on the water. I have tied this style down to #20's.

post-13329-1208786802_thumb.jpg