Fly Tying
Student4evr

Snowshoe Hare

This is a great material for emergers and dry's. It will float for a long time and it doesn't require the care you have to give CDC. The swap is limited to the first 15 tiers plus me. So tie 15and send them on their way. :thumbup: :yahoo:

Frank

1 Student4evr: March brown emerger & Rackelhanen Varient DONE

2 Old Hat: Usual Cripple ADDY sent Received

3 Troutnabout : #12 Snowshow Emerger-Flav

4 Eastern Fly : SnoShu Caddis and Sno shoe Emerger Received

5 deserttrout: TBD

6 HoosierFlyTyer: Pea Bunny ADDY sent

This Swap is Closed

Eastern:

This stuff FLOATS!! So, the type of fly is up to you. But like I said, it works for emergers or drys. I really like it because it won't soak up water like CDC and it is much more durable as well.

I will be tying a march brown emerger.

Frank (aka: student4evr)

I would like to try a swap, but I don't know if I would be able to because I am under 18. Is there a certain type of fly I need to tie? I am just a starter so I would try a fur ant if that is okay. I understand if something like that is too simple or if I can't because I am too young.

Hi airedale, I'll try to clear the swap idea up for you.

A swap is a sharing of flies and works like this. One person decides to start a swap, this becomes the "swapmeister". The swapmeister sets the limits of the swap such as the type of flies, size, material, and the number of people that can be involved etc. The limits of this swap are that all the flies must be tied using snowshoe hare in the pattern, and it is limited to 15 people. If 15 people join, each participant ties 15 (the number of participants) flies of the same size and pattern. After you have tied your 15 you attach a small piece of paper to each fly with your name and ship them in a crush proof box to the swapmeister with a postage paid return envelope. After the swapmeister gets all the flies he or she will fill your box with one of each of the participant's flies and ships your box back to you in the paid envelope that you sent. So you send in 15 of the same flies and receive back 15 different flies. If you are interested in the swap and can tie according to the limits that the swapmeister sets then you join with an "I'm in". You need to just check the post every so often and see if there are any swap still open and not filled by the number of participants that a swapmeister has set. There is no age or ability limit, only that you are responsible to get the flies to the swapmeister by the date they have set. Site rules are that you must responsibly participate in 3 swaps before you can be a swapmeister.

anyway, I hope this helps clear things up a bit and makes the site rules more understandable. If you have any questions just ask.

airedale:

For this swap I am looking for uses of the material Show Shoe Hare. I am not really concerned with what pattern you tie. I am just interested in finding out ways to use it.

Here are a couple of places to go to find out more information on the material (The best stuff is from the bottom of hare's feet in the center.).

As far as being too young, you have to get started some time and the sooner the better. I belong to a club here in Bellingham, Washington; and one of the guys I hang out with started fly tying when he was 8. We just celebrated his 70th birthday. For our club outings he ties a box of flies for the location. Here are some of his efforts.

Some good links are the following:

FAOL pageAnother siteMy Webpage

I believe you have to start somewhere, so go for it!!!

Student4evr

That's why I picked my username.

post-12269-1211962046_thumb.jpg

post-12269-1211963686_thumb.jpg

I thought this would be a little more popular. Either everyone is out fishing or they don't have any snowshoe feet I guess. :dunno:

I'm still excited though.

No Snowshoe Hare feet or I would Join

Being I live 60 miles from the nearest fly shop I have to use the internet. :crying: I will Join and can order some of the material today if you can be a couple days flexible - say the 30th of July for the flys to reach you. It will still be a push as some suppliers take ten or more days for their stuff to get to me. B)

Tightlines

Jim the deserttrout

Desertrout:

Given that they are beating down the doors, I don't have a problem with extending this out to the 30th.

If we don't get more takers what would you guys think about doing 2 patterns each?

I thought there would be a lot of interest but I guess we are a little ahead of the curve on this material. That's too bad because once you get familiar with this, it provides excellent flotation

and lasts forever.

Frank