Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
quillknot

material for parachute post

Hi guys ,

I wanna try tying some parachute thingamigigs, but i am very limited on materials for the post

can i use bucktail or squirell tail ????? or can you think of anything in common everyday use that would work ............. cheers

jim

Why not use bucktail or squriell tail? You can use what you want, foam, poly yarn, turkey flats, almost anything you want. Some materials are suggested because they do the job better but the patterns are not set in stone.

Yes you can yous pretty well any thing that you can think of. some material you mite have to work with antron, wool, yarn, calf tail work really good, any material that has a little stiffness to it so when you rap your hackle around the material it is not going to move a lot. You also can yous two pieces of Hen hackle mated like wings and then rap your hackle around them and that works really nice.

So the options are endless so try them out and see what you like to work with!!!

I hop that this helps you. tyrite (Glen Dayton)

cheers stand out just niceguys i got plenty of yellow bucktail it'll stand out just nice.......

jim

Try a small rectangle of Fun Foam from Hobby Lobby or Michael's or Wal-Mart. Makes a great post and if you use a hi-visibility color, makes your fly easier to see. Sheet foam comes in 2mm or 3mm and the thinner works well for posts on 14s and 16s if you cut it to 2mmx2mm. On 10s and 12s you can use the 2 or 3.